Moodle 3.10+ files missing.

Re: Moodle 3.10+ files missing.

by Walter DeMoss -
Number of replies: 5
I will have a closer look. Most likely there is a call for a write which fails but never get reported. Moodle thinks it put the files somewhere but it never gets there. The error occurs very randomly so hard to track it.
In reply to Walter DeMoss

by Mahmut TEKER -
Hi Walter. Have you found any resolution to this issue? or any source of the problem? We have not updated Moodle and continue with the version 3.9.4 but very randomly face with same problem. (no submission file - Moodle never puts the file where it belongs - but there are logs, hash on mdl_file table etc. also there is no error log and everything seems OK)

By the way, do you use clustered environment or nfs on your system? Thanks.
In reply to Mahmut TEKER

by Walter DeMoss -
Hello Mahmut,

Thanks for bumping the thread. Yes I did find my problem. Somehow during a hard disk upgrade and subsequent cloning I ended up with two home drives. When the backup drive was mounted for backups somehow the computer thought that the old drive was home and stored the files in the moodleData location on the old drive. Very dumb of me. The problem was not Moodle. We were able to find the missing files.

We do use NFS. Ubuntu server 20.04.3 or so with Kubuntu on top. I guess I accidentally had a raid/cluster. In my case all Pilot error. We are now on 3.11 with no problems.

by Mahmut TEKER -
Hello Walter,

Thanks for clarification. I think problem is different on our side however we could not find any solution. Everything seems OK but some of the submission files are not on their places according to contenthash. We also use NFS but it is also used by other systems with no problem (not Moodle). All logs are as usual and there is no error. I think I should keep digging.

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
The many %20 sequences in the URL are suspicious. It is the space (blank) character in URL encoding.

What is the real name of the file, the PDF, involved?
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Walter DeMoss -
Thanks for your reply. You can see above my reply to Mahmut. The error was all mine. Moodle is great. Most errors are pilot errors.