Completion Progress Block - Submitted Assignments Not Turning Yellow

Completion Progress Block - Submitted Assignments Not Turning Yellow

by John Smith -
Number of replies: 20

Version Info

Moodle 3.5.15 (Build: 20201109)

Completion Progress Block version: 2018111000

Problem

Until a few weeks ago, whenever a student submitted an assignment, the instructor could click on "Overview Student" and the square would be yellow when it was submitted, but not yet graded. (See attachment Completion Progress Block2.png)

I believe it is configured properly, with "All activities with completion set" chosen. (See attachment Completion Progress Block.png)

I believe it is also configured properly on the the backend block settings as well. (See attachment Completion Progress Block3.png)

This is a big deal for us, because it's the primary way our instructors can see what assignments are in need of grading.  Can anyone advise what we are doing wrong, or at the very least an alternate way to accomplish our goal of seeing everything that needs to be graded for a course in one spot?

Many thanks in advance.

Attachment Completion Progress Block.PNG
Attachment Completion Progress Block2.PNG
Attachment Completion Progress Block3.PNG
Average of ratings: -
In reply to John Smith

Re: Completion Progress Block - Submitted Assignments Not Turning Yellow

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Is your cron running? If you check the Scheduled task logs are there any errors?
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Howard Miller

by John Smith -
Thank you for the response. We host the server with Moonami, but I have full access to the Site administration section. I've never had to touch cron jobs before. I see there are "Scheduled Tasks" under the "Server" section and it appears as if many of them have run as recently as today. Where do I see the log for the ones that might have failed? Do you have the exact name so I could use the search function?
In reply to John Smith

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
It's the next item in the admin menu.
In reply to Howard Miller

by John Smith -
I don't have anything after Scheduled Tasks. Is that something Moonami could have removed do you think?
Attachment no logs.PNG
In reply to John Smith

by Shirley Gregorczyk -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Select the link Scheduled Tasks
That should display a view of all currently scheduled tasks (CRONS jobs)
Scroll down to Completion mark as started. Select the Run Now link
When it finished, return to the Scheduled Tasks view.
Scroll down to Calculate regular completion data. Select the Run Now link.
When it finished, go to your course progress block in question and see if the results have changed as expected.
If so, go back to the Scheduled Tasks and adjust the frequency of the cron job.

Kind Regards
In reply to Shirley Gregorczyk

by John Smith -
Thank you! I changed the task to run every minute and the problem is resolved. For some reason it was only running every 12 hours.

I thought this was resolved, but it's not.  Unfortunately the issue is still occurring.
In reply to John Smith

by Howard Miller -
Sorry - Moodle 3.5. Doesn't have task logs.

Even though it's technically still supported you probably want to be thinking about upgrading that.
In reply to John Smith

by John Smith -
Are there any special settings for the assignment submission settings that need to be changed? I've tried a variety of combinations, this is the current setting.

Thanks again for sticking with me to try and figure this out.
Attachment submission settings.PNG
In reply to John Smith

by Shirley Gregorczyk -
On your new screen capture, I think it is "odd" that the Submissions types>Accepted file types is not populated.

If you open up the Assessment can you see the number of submissions waiting to be graded?

by John Smith -
Thanks Shirley,

The tool tip for that field states, "If the field is left empty, then all file types are allowed."

Yes, I've attached screenshots of both screens that I believe are relevant to your 2nd question.
Attachment grading summary.PNG
Attachment my test submission.PNG
In reply to John Smith

by Shirley Gregorczyk -
This seems familiar...At the bottom of this discussion (8/28/2020) is some interesting discussions about due dates?
https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=332078#p1661770
Take a look
Average of ratings: Useful (2)

by John Smith -
You are amazing! It was the lack of due dates that seems to have been causing the issue. Thank you so very very much.

by John Smith -
Okay, so this is very weird. At some point, it stopped working again (just noticed today). I've done a little research and I've figured out how to partially fix the issue.
Right now it is not showing up as yellow after the assignment is submitted by the student. HOWEVER, if I go into the settings of the assignment, and "unlock completion settings" and save, it immediately turns yellow again, for all students who have submitted the activity but haven't had it graded, even if I don't change any of the checkmarks in the activity completion section!

Can anyone explain this behavior?
In reply to John Smith

by Shirley Gregorczyk -
I looked around some other forums and then did a quick search of the Tracker site.
There were a few bug reports regarding Assignment Progress, this one might look familiar Plugins
CONTRIB-8245

Kind regards
In reply to John Smith

by John Provasnik -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
I wonder if a scheduled task is causing this. Yea, I have heard students say they saw their block as yellow but then turned red a few days later (which is related to the tracker that was posted). You can turn off the date requirement buy editing/configuring your progress block and changing the (I believe) first dropdown. For the assignment that was yellow and is now not, was is the activity completion settings - those are important here. Can You post a screenshot of that section of your assignment settings?
In reply to John Provasnik

by John Smith -
I had the block configured to be "Ordering in course", but i've taken one of the classes and changed it to "Time Using Expected By Date" in the first drop down. I've now gone through all the activities for a class and changed the activity completion setting to include an "Expect Completed On" date, which it didn't have before. I'll report back what happens.

As you requested, I've attached a screenshot of the activity completion settings BEFORE I made them most recent changes listed above.

Thanks again to everyone for your help.
Attachment activity completion settings.PNG
In reply to John Smith

by John Provasnik -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Ok: from your screenshot and with your addition of the "Expect completed on date", I have only one other suggestion. Consider limiting the activity completion requirements a bit -- ie. If they get a grade, the assumption then would be they first viewed the activity, then that they submitted it. Just having "must receive a grade..." would take care of the other two. I don't think there is anything wrong with having all three checked off, but having 1 requirement versus 3 may help with the situation. This way, the color of the block will be dependent on only 1 criteria instead of 3, so it could be easier to pin point issues. The yellow would then still happen while it's submitted and awaiting a grade, even if 'must submit' is not checked off. You could test it with just 1 activity and see how it goes. At my school, we just have the "must receive grade" and everything turns yellow as it should when submitted and awaiting a grade.

by John Smith -
Ok. Thank you. The issue is still occurring and I have now done as you suggested and changed the activity settings to only be for the grade. I'll follow up tomorrow in this thread with the result either way.
In reply to John Smith

by John Smith -
Still inconclusive, but I said I'd post back today. I will update this post when I know for sure whether or not it's working now.

by John Smith -
My teachers are now reporting that everything seems to be working.

A huge thank you to everyone for you help.