MCMA Scoring Suggestion

MCMA Scoring Suggestion

by Michael Knichel -
Number of replies: 0
I have been working on creating quizzes and I use several types of questions.  When I think about MCMA questions, I have a suggestion for the developers.  Currently, a user can select every option, and depending on how the questions are scored, he might receive full credit.  The challenge is how to handle incorrect responses.  We can set them to a negative value.  As I understand it, a question will NEVER receive negative credit.  The lowest is zero.  
The problems I see are:
Assuming incorrect responses have a negative value:
  • If it is select 2, the problem with this is when a student selects 1 correct and 1 incorrect, they receive zero points (assuming each incorrect is worth the same as correct responses). 
  • If it is select 3, and they only select 3, with 2 correct and 1 incorrect they only get 1/3 of the credit.  Not how I like to grade.
  • In both of these cases, the student tried to follow directions and only selected the correct number of responses. Now consider a student that selected 1of 2 or 2 of 3 responses and all selected were correct, they would receive a different grade than the student that selected the right number of options (better).  Not fair.

Assuming incorrect responses have no value set:
  • This is simple, DON"T do this because they can just select all options.
MY suggestion is that for an MCMA question, they should only be allowed to select a specific number of options based on the question (select 2...etc).  Then just use positive values for each option.  Maybe there could be a checkbox for this question type "Only allow # of responses"....?  This seems the most fair way.  After all, they can only select 1 for MCSA questions.  Why not limit them for MCMA questions also.

I don't know where to post suggestions to developers, but thought this might be a good start.  Maybe the feedback will help me understand this question type better?  Anyway, please feel free to respond with comments or tell me how to suggest this to the dev team.

MK

Average of ratings: -