Manually regrading Cloze questions

Manually regrading Cloze questions

by Florent Chevalier -
Number of replies: 5

Hello,

I am finding the regrading of Cloze questions troublesome in moodle 3.5. I have designed a Cloze-based exercise comprising 20 short answer questions and want to regrade attempts in case notionally correct answers have been rejected due to spelling mistakes.

Am I correct in understanding that (a) I cannot manually regrade each short answer for all students and then move to the next short answer, but I have to do the whole 20-short answer block together? (b) I cannot actually change the points awarded for each short answer, but I have to count in my head the points awarded for all the 20 short answers to then only modify the total for the Cloze exercise? (c) There is no way while manually regrading to make obvious whether the student's answer was considered correct or not, apart from hovering the mouse over every single short answer question (no tick or cross logo)?

Many thanks in advance for your help - been feeding on this form as a passive reader for a while!

Florent

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Florent Chevalier

Re: Manually regrading Cloze questions

by Florent Chevalier -

Some further explanation: 

As part of a test, I have written a couple of Cloze questions and I find re-grading troublesome. Basically, one Cloze exercise contains 20 Short answer questions, each worth 1 point, and for which I have set the expected answers. However, students will often give the (notionally) expected answer but with a minor spelling mistake. At the end of the day, I want to manually regrade this short answer to credit the students with the point.

Before I used the Cloze format, I would typically create 20 independent Short answers questions in the test, and once the test was over I would go into Manual grading and change the grade for each question if necessary. 

So I now want to check answers provided for a given Cloze block of short answers. 

I've attached a screenshot of what I see when going into manual grading. As you can see, there is no visible distinction at first sight between correct and wrong answers, and the only mark I can alter is the global one (/20) at the bottom of the feedback block. There is also no option to show only all the answers for the first Short Answer question, then all the answers for the second, etc.

This is a screenshot of what I see when I try to manually regrade a Cloze question

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
My first question would be why are you rewarding bad spelling?! Students should actually be learning that any online quiz is going to be precise and so they also have to be precise in their answers.
However, to answer your question, I do not think there is a way to achieve what you are looking for unless, you add the incorrect answers directly into the question and then regrade so that the quiz then picks up that the answer they gave should be considered correct.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Emma Richardson

by Florent Chevalier -
Hi Emma,
I don't understand why you seem so outraged that I do not penalize (which is not the same as rewarding: I do not give students additional points for having misspelt words) spelling mistakes. The point of this particular exercise is not to practise spelling. Due to covid lockdown in my country, universities are closed and students have to do their final exams online. They do not all have the proper equipment for this, and some of them are doing our Moodle quizzes from their phones through a weak 3G connection, and have to respect the same time limit as other students who benefit from ideal exam conditions. In this context, I most certainly do not want to penalize (again, not the same as rewarding) students who might forget an accent or an apostrophe here and there while still giving the expected answer.
Anyway, thanks for your input on the technical side of the problem - I am aware that I can do that, and wondering which re-grading option would be the least time-consuming way forward. I've also considered exporting the students' answers into a new test where all short answers would be independent, but I worry that might appear a bit shabby in terms of transparency.

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
I am not outraged at all - please do not take my response like that - I just like to encourage students to be accurate. I guess I spend way too much time fixing passwords because adults do not understand that a capital is different from a non cap and a single letter out of place will stop them from logging in!! I totally understand your viewpoint as well and agree to making life easier for students and definitely recognize that accents and apostrophes are tough to deal with though in any language especially if the phone keyboard does not make for easy entry. But my preference would be to give them extra time and teach how to enter answers correctly. No criticism - just a different viewpoint.

by Matthias Giger -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Given you have enough screen space as a workaround you could use two browser windows next to each other: the original window with the students attempt and the pop-up window from the "make comment or override grade" option:

Side by side windows

You could also make a feature request to include the feedback (right or wrong) into the grade overview display.