Add Submission button is...MISSING!

Add Submission button is...MISSING!

by Catherine Zealand -
Number of replies: 14

Greetings collective knowledge bank,

I require my students to select the 'Add Submission' button when uploading assignments. I have confirmed this in the assignment settings. This has worked flawlessly for years.

Following a Moodle upgrade in December, this button seems to have completely disappeared when I log in as a student to upload my work. Is there another way for students to upload work? 

Getting slightly nervous,

Catherine

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Catherine Zealand

Re: Add Submission button is...MISSING!

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hello. Can you first confirm that you are using an actual student account - or that you can see one of your students logging in and there is no button to upload? If you for example use the "switch role to student" feature then you don't see the Add submission button.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Joost Elshoff -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
You would if you already enrolled yourself in a student role, but still: if you're building the course using a Site level or Category level role (such as manager), without being enrolled, you only see what you need to see given that role.

Using a 'dummy' student account to play test your course always works better.
In reply to Joost Elshoff

by Catherine Zealand -
Thanks Joost. Too much time away from Moodle gave me 'noodle' brain! All working a treat.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Carl Thelen -
I'm having a similar problem with just one course in Moodle 3.9.6. In every other course, switching role to student and then scrolling to an assignment shows the Add submission button. But, in this one particular course, the Add submission button doesn't show. Neither do the Submission status, Grading status, Due date, etc. Just the description then nothing. But, in other courses, when using the Log in as student feature, I *do* see Add submission. I've checked the start / due dates, file upload is enabled, etc. I imported an assignment from another course (that *did* show Add submission when using Log in as student), and in the problem course the button did *not* show. Then I did the opposite, importing the assignment into another course, and then it *did* show the Add submission button. I tried creating an assignment from scratch, and it *didn't* show Add submission. The content in the problem course was imported from another course, could that have an effect?
I'm very confused! Anyone have any other thoughts? Cheers?
In reply to Carl Thelen

by Doug Stevens -
We had this issue but discovered that the items had been locked in the gradebook. Cleared the lock and suddenly the submit reappeared.
Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Catherine Zealand -
Thanks for the clarification. Have re-united with the part of my memory that was missing!

by Sebastian Mueller -
Hello all,
I have exactly the same problem, the upload window just doesn't appear, I've tried everything now, I just can't find a solution.
The role is correct,Submission types settings is also configured correctly.
If I use the same settings on the Moodle demo page, it works.
I just don't know what to do anymore.

Maybe someone has a tip for me.

The problem started when I went from Moodle version 3.6 to 3.10, today I installed the latest Moodle version (3.11) and the problem persists.

Thank You
Attachment Submission types.jpg
In reply to Sebastian Mueller

by Harrie Phillips -
I have the same issue after upgrading from 3.6 to 3.11.

Checked gradebook not locked (it's not, unless I'm looking in the wrong place), checked assignment settings (all right), checked that file submission isn't hidden (it's not), logged in as a dummy student etc. Totally baffled.

Did you find a solution?

In reply to Sebastian Mueller

by Ray Hinton -

I found this thread after experiencing a similar issue today.

What ended up solving it for us was dis-allowing and re-allowing the "Submit assignment mod/assign:submit" capability in the Student role. Turn it off an on again, as they say!

We had just migrated our site to a new server, and started doing this testing logged in as a Student right after taking the site out of Maintenance mode. Others mentioned that they noticed this issue after doing an upgrade, so not sure if those sorts of things could be related. We are on Moodle 3.10.5.

Seems like an inconsistent issue, so this might not solve it for everyone, but I figured I'd mention it. Credit to my colleague Dan for coming up with this. 😀

In reply to Ray Hinton

by Sam Kariot -
Hi Ray,

when i tried to give allow in student role it showing  like below,

how can i give them Allow permission.

Actually i am also Struggling with the Assignmnet Submission , For my students it not showing. but for teachers it showing. Help me if you have any updates. Thank you
In reply to Sam Kariot

by Ray Hinton -
Hi Sam,

I meant that I went to Site administration > Users > Define roles > Student > Edit and then changed "mod/assign:submit" to some non-Allow value. Then I saved the change, and went right back in and set the capability back to Allow.

It looks like the capability is explicitly set to Prevent in your case. I am not sure exactly what settings page you're looking at, so you may want to check the site admin page I mentioned above, or in your course, Actions menu > More > Users > Permissions. If you post a screenshot with the full page, I might be able to describe more.

I am not sure exactly what the issue was for me or if it is the same issue for you, but for whatever reason, my problem seemed to be solved after I did this. I hope that helps!
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Ray Hinton

by Sam Kariot -
Hi Ray,

Thank you..sorted it . really Appreciate your swift response
In reply to Sam Kariot

by Ray Hinton -
That's great, Sam, I'm glad to hear it! Happy Moodling!