Urgent help needed - changing the name of the course page text

Urgent help needed - changing the name of the course page text

by Dom F -
Number of replies: 5

Hi Im stuck and this link just doesnt help - however many times I get sent it. (So please dont paste it again - thanks!)

https://docs.moodle.org/39/en/Language_customisation#Changing_words_or_phrases

PROBLEM...

On this page....

https://tinyurl.com/y87p665v
I need to change the words AVAILABLE COURSES to AVAILABLE LEARNING JOURNEYS.

And no amount of explanation is helping me understand how to do it. Can someone work with me (online chat or (good heavens SKYPE or ZOOM or a PHONE call) to help me figure this urgent query out?

Thanks

Dom

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dom F

Re: Urgent help needed - changing the name of the course page text

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Dom. I am not quite sure if you mean that following the docs link doesn't help because it is not clear or because following the link doesn't help because when you apply the changes, the text doesnt change but... here it is phrased differently:
  1. Log in with an administrator login
  2. Find Site adminstration and then find the section called Language customisation.
  3. Do what it says in this screenshot and make sure you save the changes to the language pack

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Dom F -
Thanks Mary,Leon and Howard - for some reason the way you explained it Mary was infinitely clearer that the help guide link I mentioned (I think it is because you have s much experience with the excellent Moodle 3 how to videos)

So if you go back to that page now https://tinyurl.com/y87p665v you will HOPEFULLY (?) see that the text has changed?

I assume it has ONLY changed for the English language and would nt be a fix for users of other local languages they ight choose to apply themselves? WOuld I have to do the same for every language? Hope not

Thank you either way

Best

Dom

P.S. Gareth -its a sort of custom theme that is based on bootstrap and boost I think?
In reply to Dom F

by Leon Stringer -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

At the risk of incurring your wrath I used the steps described here to change this, in this case selecting 'moodle.php' in Show strings of these components and 'availablecourses' in String identifier. It worked as expected on my 3.9 site with the Boost theme:

Screenshot showing changed language string

If it still doesn't work the string could be being cached by something external to Moodle. PHP's OPcache caches strings so you may need to restart the service running scripts (e.g. Apache or PHP-FPM). Or you may have a cache in front of Moodle (e.g. Cloudflare), it's best to disable this kind of cache in my experience.

For urgent individual support I can send you details of my rates and how to pay.

In reply to Dom F

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
What theme is that?

I wonder if the 'Available courses' string belongs to the theme rather than the 'standard' string in the core Moodle strings.
In reply to Dom F

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
I remember trying to make a language change about a month ago. It didn't seem to be working for me. Then, I was told that I had to edit the resource for the change to take effect. Maybe this is what you need to do, Dom.