Word clouds plug-in

Word clouds plug-in

by Giorgio Cangioli -
Number of replies: 11

Dear All,

I'm a new moodle end user smile

I was wondering if there is any plug in that I can ask to add to "my" environment to generate word clouds based on the users inputs (i.e. I'd like to ask people to insert 2 or 3 keywords and then generate a word cloud  to trigger an open  discussion).

I saw that there is an old thread on this topic https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=376139, but didn't help me a lot.

Do you have any suggestion for me ?

Thanks,

Giorgio

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Giorgio Cangioli

Re: Word clouds plug-in

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Giorgio,
Just where and how are you going to have people input words for your cloud? Where are they going to have the open discussion? Are you planning to do this in a forum? If you follow your above link and then in the second entry of that forum, follow the link and search for "wordcloud" there is exactly what you are asking for. One possibility is creating a Generico wordcloud from a questionnaire and the other is a Generico wordcloud from a forum. Generico is a Moodle filter plugin that once you install it, you can do the wordcloud plus a whole bunch of other things.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to AL Rachels

Ri: Re: Word clouds plug-in

by Giorgio Cangioli -
Thank you AL,

what I have in mind is something like the mentimeter.com word clouds feature... in order to allow people to insert 2 or 3 keywords in a form, submit and show the results.

So if I well understand, it should be the case of "creating a Generico wordcloud from a questionnaire"

I'm not the administrator of that moodle instance, I "just" need to take a course and to know what I should ask to the managers of that moodle smile

That is, it is enough to ask them to install Generico; or after the installation is there some "development" that needs to be done; and so on (sorry, but as I wrote I'm totally new of moodle..)

Thanks again,
Giorgio

Re: Ri: Re: Word clouds plug-in

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
If I were going to do this, I would create a quiz and use an essay question. Then, I would export this quiz to csv, grab the "text" answers, and then put these into a WordCloud product.
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Radim Chvála -
177 / 5000
Hi Rick
And how would you enter the grab answers into WordCloud plug-in? I did not find the option to import in this plug-in. Manual input is a problem: I expect about 10 expressions from each of the 60 students.
In reply to Radim Chvála

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
I used to use a "word cloud" product at wordle.net. But it appears to be gone. I have never used the Moodle WordCloud plugin, so I can't help. I have used Tableau for this, and there are other products (see https://monkeylearn.com/blog/wordle/.)

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
You would need to have an admin install the Generico filter plugin AND the wordcloud template/s. They would need to add the Generico filter toolbutton to the Atto editor. Once that's done, any teacher can add the wordcloud to a forum or questionnaire, depending on one template or the other. There are MANY Generico templates that can be added and used just about anywhere you have access to the Atto editor in Moodle. Currently, I think I have 53 different templates installed.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to AL Rachels

Ri: Re: Ri: Re: Word clouds plug-in

by Giorgio Cangioli -
Thank you AL, I'll pass this information to the administrator of that moodle instance.

Re: Ri: Re: Ri: Re: Word clouds plug-in

by Eva Karall -
Picture of Testers

We just published a simple wordcloud acitvity - https://moodle.org/plugins/mod_wordcloud.

In reply to Eva Karall

by Radim Chvála -
Dear Eva, thank you for this plug-in.
Unfortunately, I can't use it, it lacks several important features:
1) it is not possible to let students enter expressions without seeing the overall score, so they are influenced by other students.
A switch would be better to allow the teacher to hide the overall score and make the score visible after pasting.
2) the inserted text cannot be edited or deleted (eg in case of a misspelling).
3) plugin cannot be reset for reuse.
4) data from other systems cannot be imported.

If these functionalities are accessible somewhere and I do not see them, then I apologize and ask for advice.
In reply to Radim Chvála

by Eva Karall -
Picture of Testers
You are right - it's not possible, because of covid we could'nt continue working, because we had a lot of other stuff to do and couldn't built all features we wanted to do. If you can enter the features into github, the ideas are saved and we can have a look if it fits in our roadmap. We are also willing to accept pull requests. Cheers, Eva