Mail from Moodle

Mail from Moodle

by Patrícia Carvalhais -
Number of replies: 6

I have come to ask for help for a problem that I am not sure is related to Moodle settings. The problem is this:
At our school we have e-mail accounts at Gsuite for Education for students and teachers.
In the case of teachers there is no problem in which they receive email messages from Moodle but in the case of students there is already. As they were minors, the reception of emails coming from outside the organization was blocked. Moodle sends emails from noreply @ domain where domain is Gsuite's domain. As there was no reception, the Gsuite administrator was asked to unblock this email address, but to no avail.
Teachers send emails to students without any problems, but Moodle cannot do the same.
Is there anything you can configure in Moodle? I'm using Moodle 3.9

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Patrícia Carvalhais

Re: Mail from Moodle

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I'm not going to be very helpful (in that I don't know anything about GSuite) except to point out that this isn't anything you are going to fix in Moodle. Moodle doesn't know or care if a user is a student or a teacher - it just sends the email. Whatever is differentiating between the two and following a different rule is happening elsewhere.

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

How are your students authenticating in the moodle?  A Google Oauth2 authentication is possible in a Moodle, I think.  Might still need to get cooperation of the Google Edu Admin, however, in the setup of a Google System account (not an individual users account) to use as a 'pass through' for IAM.

While that may not solve email from Moodle due to restrictions on the Google end, students who auth via Google, do have access to Google Tools and in an HTML block for courses that have students with that restriction, links could be made for EMail (login - acts almost like Single Sign On if students are already logged onto Google).

Total intergration with Google Edu will be difficult.   Most things might be work-arounds (like assignments). 

'SoS', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Patrícia Carvalhais -
Thank you for all the answers.

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi

What is the conclusion? For a specific answer, you need to give much more details of your setup, " e-mail accounts at Gsuite for Education for students and teachers" doesn't tell the whole story. How do users authenticate on Moodle? What Ken already asked.

Do the e-mail addresses of students and teachers both are in the same domain (the part behind the @ symbol)? Is that something Google, say gmail.com, gsuite.com, or is it independent, yourschool.org, edu or something?

In any case your IT administrator has to cooperate with the Moodle team, not work against. I see only two straightforward solutions: Either th IT allows noreply@your.domain as a sender e-mail or give the Moodle site, or its admin, a "normal" e-mail, which the Moodle admin puts in place of the noreply address.

P.S. I hope Moodle doesn't get the real names of these minors. If it is the case, Google will easily hook their data as school children thoughout their whole lives. You give the data kraken a head-start!
sad
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Correction:
I hope Moodle doesn't get the real names of these minors.

What a typo! Of course I meant the colossal surveillance machine called Google!