Quiz, feedback without seeing questions and options

Quiz, feedback without seeing questions and options

by behnam heydari -
Number of replies: 5

HI
I need a test that, when the student completes the test, will not be able to see the questions and answers and will only see the feedback of the selected options and the final score and the final grade feedback.

All questions will be multiple choice.

Is this possible in the model? Need to change one of the plugins?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to behnam heydari

Re: Quiz, feedback without seeing questions and options

by behnam heydari -
Is the problem clear? is it so complicated?

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
This feature does not exist in Moodle.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by behnam heydari -
thanks, any suggestion for development path or change existing modules?

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

To start with a bit of background: in relation to quiz questions, there can be all sorts of complex logic about which bits of information different users should be allowed to see when. And, although there are general common patters, the detail of how certain type of information are shown (e.g. how feedback is displayed) can be different for each different question type.

So (about 10 years ago when I was designing how the question system currently works), what I did was to put in a question_display_options object. When the quiz wants to display a question to a particular user, it calls the render_question functions, and it passes an $options of this class, which records the options like 'feedback visible', 'marks/grade not visible', ... and then the rest of the question system respects that.

Now, unfortunately, at the time, in never occurred to me that someone might want to render a question without actually rendering the question text. (Thinking educationally, if you are going to give someone feedback, then they will learn more from that feedback if they see it in relation to their work the feedback is about.) Therefore, it never occurred to me that we needed $options->questiontext = true/false and $options->responseinputs = true/false.

And, to be fair, this was not the biggest oversight in the world. In the 10 years since Moodle 2.1 was release, I have only heard two requests that would have been helped by this.

1. Your request here, which may have been made once or twice before by other people.
  2. A really nice idea by someone at the OU, to try to make multiple choice question slightly less multiple-guess. The idea was that you show the student the stem of a multiple choice question (e.g. "What language is Moodle coded in?") and make them say how sure they are they know the answer. The, only once they have indicated that, do you show them the choices (e.g. C#, Java, PHP, Python). If we had the two options I suggested above, then you could do this as a question behaviour, but you can't. sad

So, the best answer to what you want would be to extend question_display_options to have these options. Sadly, that is now very, very hard to do, because adding fields to that class is not enough. You would also need to change every single question type plugin out there to respect those options.

(So, why did I write all this? it is of no practical use to solving your problem. However, hopefully it is interesting to at least some people.)

--------------

So, what alternative solutions might exist?

If you only need this to work for a very few question types (e.g. just multiple choice), then you could probably abuse the quiz access rule plugin type. You would just be using it as a way to hook into the quiz without changing core.

What your plugin would do is to show an alternate 'review attempt' page, showing just the information you want to show, but you would have to do all the rendering for that yourself, and not use the standard render question method. Then, in quizzes where you want this particular behaviour, you would

• Turn off the standard quiz review options, to make the normal quiz review page inaccessible,
  • Turn on the option for your alternate review plugin,
  • That would then show its own 'Review' link on the front page of the quiz, which goes to the alternate view you have built.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by behnam heydari -
thanks in advance, it was a great walkthrough, as you mentioned I need exactly this option just for multiple-choice, so I will go for your suggestion and will report any progress.
thanks again