Compatibility of 4.0 changes with 3.9 plugins

Compatibility of 4.0 changes with 3.9 plugins

by Ralf Hilgenstock -
Number of replies: 3

We appreciate the UX developments. Our clients and developers are asking: will 3.9 plugins work with 4.0 and  which types of plugins have to be customized for 4.0?

Will we need changes in

• themes
    • classic and childs
    • boost and childs
    • third party thees
  • course formats from third parties
    Will it work with all standard course formats
  • activities
  • other types of plugins?
I know its in an early stage and it may be impossible to give a final answer. But it would be helpfull to publish preliminary information about the type of changes in code you are preparing.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ralf Hilgenstock

Re: Compatibility of 4.0 changes with 3.9 plugins

by Chris Kenniburg -
We are waiting to see how the UX changes shake out and then probably re-write Fordson specifically for Moodle 4. The direction and features we added to Fordson will not play well with Moodle 4. So, we will take some of the best features of Fordson and work with the new direction of Moodle and look for ways we can enhance this new direction. We have some ideas for styling and some enhancements. We want to work with the new navigation structure so something like the "Course Management" pop up might get new life as something else entirely. The homepage/Dashboard might get some new features but all I've seen is this is an area where Moodle has plans for smarter blocks that pull information out of the courses for the users and we do not want to put in features that interfere with that. We really need to use and abuse it for awhile to see where improvements can be made for helping students and teachers.

Moodle 4 is a great release to reconsider features that might not be needed, clean house, and look to the future of what is now possible with Moodle.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Chris Kenniburg

Re: Compatibility of 4.0 changes with 3.9 plugins

by Fabian Glagovsky -

Hi, I just wanted to touch base and see if if I get an update to the question of whether Fordson is now compatible with Moodle 4.0?

Best,

Fabian