How are grades calculated?

How are grades calculated?

by Michael Knichel -
Number of replies: 2
I am new to Moodle and have a gradebook question.

It looks like grades for a category are calculated based on a points method?  Then each category is weighted as per my choice?  

So for example, I have a few categories that have several assignments in them (like labs and exams).  I want my Labs to be worth 25% of the overall grade and exams to be worth 35%.  As long as each lab is worth the same amount (say 100 pts) then the points calculation method will be the same as using an average method?

My dilemma is this... Each lab assignment may have different labs for them.  Chapter 1 might have 3 labs to complete and chapter 2 might have 6.  I still want them to carry the same weight, Chapter 1 labs is worth the same towards the Labs average as Chapter 2 labs.  The only way I see to do this is to set the points for Chapter 1 labs and Chapter 2 labs to the same value (say 100 pts).  Is this correct?  I cannot set the Chapter 1 points to 300 and Chapter 2 points to 600 otherwise the chapter 2 labs have more effect on the overall grade, right?

The way I have always graded is to set the number of points an assignment is worth to whatever I want (max score).  Then to calculate the lab average, my formula converts each individual assignment to a % adds them up and divides by the number of labs.  In this method, each lab is worth the same amount.  The gradebook in Moodle does not appear to work this way by default.  Is there a way to change this behavior? OR am I forced to make each lab worth the same # of points (say 100) and covert the grades manually?

Thanks is advance,
MK
In reply to Michael Knichel

Re: How are grades calculated?

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
I am a little confused as to what exactly you are trying to achieve here...you say you want them the same weight but then you talk about having to manually change grades if you set them to the same weight...
In the gradebook, you can set weights separately to the grade if you have it set to natural grading. Just check the box and change the weight amount. Or set the points for each lab to total to 100. If you have two labs, make them 50 points each, three labs 33.33 each, etc...or you could put each assignment in its own category and then set it however you want...there are multiple ways to set the gradebook up - I am pretty sure one will let you achieve what you want.
In reply to Michael Knichel

Re: How are grades calculated?

by Sharon Gan -
If i'm understanding what you want, it's to have different points for labs but each still contribute the same % to the course total percentage, I think you'll need to assign a weight to the category (25% for labs) and then assign weights to each lab (E.g. 10% per lab if there are 10 labs) within that category.