Debugging set to 'ALL' - where are error messages?

Debugging set to 'ALL' - where are error messages?

by cyber sec -
Number of replies: 2

I have Moodle 3.7.7 hosted on shared hosting. Like most shared hosting, I cannot run a more recent version of Moodle. My hosting does not have Barracuda formatting for the MySQL database. Also, I do not have full control of MySQL database, or PHP.

Whenever I try to look at any question, I get the message "Error writing to database." My site is now completely broken and useless.

As Moodle suggested, I turned on debugging. I set debugging to 'ALL'. I tried again to look at a question, and I got the same error. I thought I would get debugging information in the browser, on that page, but I did not. Where can I find the debugging information?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to cyber sec

Re: Debugging set to 'ALL' - where are error messages?

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Set Debugging all the way up to highest - Developer.

That should display to your browser when you are attempting whatever.

On shared plans (cPanel/other panel?), normally there is an app for the web that will show only web service access logs and error logs.   Look for it.  On some shared hosting plans they have set up php to create a php error_log file in the directory where the error occurs.    cPanel file browser and search for error_log might find.   Then using cPanel file browser, view.  Of course, you then have to interpret what it says ... or you could come back here and post clips of what it says (not that anyone would have a fix for ya).

However, having said that ... evidently where you host on shared plan is maxing out limitations/caps imposed by shared hosting.  That's a guess.

Time to consider (if staying with hosting) or exploring option with hosting provider to move your site to either 'managed' (provider does heavy lifting and all you gotta do is ask) or 'un-managed' (you do the heavy lifting/config tweaks, etc.).

OR ... moving site to another provider that offers VPS leases ... read the fine print! :|

OR ... moving site to a Moodle Partner ... OR Moodle Cloud

https://moodle.com/moodlecloud/

If that is affordable and you are allowed to do what you want to do ... again ... read the fine print.

'SoS', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

Re: Debugging set to 'ALL' - where are error messages?

by cyber sec -
Thank you for the response. I will work on it.

I should have mentioned, I am the only person using the site right now, and it is not very big. I have a site on my home server, which I keep as a sort of backup/mirror of the hosted site. On my home site, I am using Postgresql, and I am not having any of these problems.

I am setting up another site on a VPS, with much more resources. I plan on switching over once I have the new site completed. However, I am having a lot of trouble getting the SSL cert working with my lighttpd server.

------------------

Right after posting this, I went to look at my site and found this:

Error: Database connection failed
It is possible that the database is overloaded or otherwise not running properly.
The site administrator should also check that the database details have been correctly specified in config.php
I think I may just blow it away and restore from backup.
I guess backups can be useful after all.