Sending secure mail using phpmailer

Sending secure mail using phpmailer

by Frans Zwijnenberg -
Number of replies: 5

If I'm correct there are 2 two (core) options for sending a mail from Moodle: phpmailer (moodle core) and a SMTP server.
Our client demands that Moodle sends a secure mail and usage of their or a third party SMTP server (to create SSL or TLS) is no option.
Can can I help my client?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Frans Zwijnenberg

Re: Sending secure mail using phpmailer

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
You simply need the details of their or third party SMTP server and enter them in Site administration > Server > Email > Outgoing mail configuration. See https://docs.moodle.org/en/Messaging_settings#Email.

P.S. phpmailer (moodle core) only prepares mails (MUA), it can not send directly to a MX (MTA). That is a myth, but not relevant here since you want to use a SMTP server of your own.

P.P.S. What a secure e-mail is kind of philosophical (unless you are talking of end-to-end encryption). Another OT.
wink
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Frans Zwijnenberg -
Hi Visvanath
I misunderstood the SMTP working.
I will contact the client with this information
Kind Regards

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
You are not the only one. A long time ago, I was asking myself, how Moodle, which is supposed to be a web application - accepting connections to HTTP or HTTPS, also open a SMTP port.

I think there was an old MoodleDoc page with such content. It is gone a long time. But still Moodle fills an empty SMTP hosts (smtphosts) field with 'localhost' - in the code, not in the user interface - which makes people to believe that Moodle has a way of sending e-mail, i.e. Moodle is also a MTA. The fix is simple. Make smtphosts field default to 'localhost'. But it has been like that for 18 years now, deeply rooted!
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Frans Zwijnenberg -

With the client I have fixed the problem.

At the SMTP server you fill in the same information as the MX record of the DNS

Login is Plain.

Security is TLS

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Possibly ... if 'client' will allow relay through another secure SMTP server.

Got Linux?   Install postfix and configure for local only - sending only.

Then configure postfix to relay via SendGrid API ... Sendgrid does all the TLS/SPF/DKIM (that's almost all DNS records)/other for messages.  SendGrid relays to customers SMTP.

You could then use PHPMailer as it will use local Postfix to relay to SendGrid and SendGrid onto customers/other mail servers.

OR set up Moodle to use SendGrid API directly.

I do Postfix relay to SendGrid as that gives me (the admin of the server) the abillity to use Alpine ... a text based MTA ... and via ssh logged on as root, to send individual messages to any Moodle user directly - by passing Moodle but having TLS/SPF/DKIM, etc.

And added benefit is one sees mail traffic in maillogs of server.

'SoS', Ken