Submit and finish opens modal window & timer stops running

Submit and finish opens modal window & timer stops running

by Marko Tekavc -
Number of replies: 5

Am I missing something or is it true that when student presses Submit and finish button modal window pops up and the timer stops.

If this is true students can have unlimited time to answer questions if they just press submit and finish button - modal windows opens and causes timer to stop, so they can think over the answer and then they could press cancel and continue answering and no time is lost.

Can I somehow prevent moodle to show this window?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Marko Tekavc

Re: Submit and finish opens modal window & timer stops running

by Peter Bulmer -
Hi Marko, 
I beleive that the quiz time limit is enforced on the server, and the timer displayed on the student's computer is only a guide. 
Can I suggest you test this - set up a 10 minute quiz, and pause the timer for 5 minutes, when the timer reads 1 minute to go, submit the quiz, and see what happens.

There is a small amount of tolerance built into the quiz, to allow for slow student-computer clocks - a few percent, or 1 minute, I cannot recall.

Without checking, I cannot recall if the server should reject the quiz, score it zero, or show you what your score would have been.  I'm convinced it does something like this though. 

Let us know how you go.
Pete.
In reply to Marko Tekavc

by Bill Click -

I have seen students run out of time and receive a zero grade.  Unfortunately they are not given credit for the actually answered questions since they didn't submit and finish the quiz.  Seems it would be more fair if it would atleast accept the answered questions, maybe force a submit & finish, when the clock runs out.

Also, if a student begins a quiz and then clicks on the back arrow, is there a record that they entered/began the quiz?  Would they get a zero grade?

In reply to Bill Click

by Gustav W Delius -
Bill, the quiz module already does things the way you want: when the timer runs out the existing student answers are automatically submitted and the student receives credit accordingly.

To answer your second question: yes, Moodle remembers when a student has started an attempt. And yes, if they start an attempt but provide no answers they will get a zero grade.
In reply to Gustav W Delius

by Bill Click -
Thank you Gustav,  I am just dense today.  It has been a long, long week and I need the weekend to recharge.
In reply to Gustav W Delius

by John Rodgers -
I think I have experienced the situation Bill is describing, but I'm not sure what the cause was.  I could see all of the answers the student had entered, but the quiz was not marked because it had closed or the timer had expired. 

I wonder if there was a peculiar timer/availability time interaction.  (perhaps the student closed the browser without submitting and couldn't reenter the quiz.

I ultimately opened the quiz and logged in as the student, then submitted their quiz.