Bulk upload of users - no email

Bulk upload of users - no email

by Trevor Wilson -
Number of replies: 4

Hi, all

Going to try asking this again.  There's traffic on similar issues going back years, and I haven't found a fix.  

The upload users function that allows you to provide a .csv to Moodle to create users, generate passwords, and notify the users doesn't work for me.  The accounts get created, but no email is ever dispatched.

I can confirm that everything else that emails from within Moodle (Forums, messaging, notification from assignments, etc...) all works fine.
The only thing that doesn't send email is the bulk upload.  If I create an account manually, and choose 'Generate password and notify user', it works fine.

I've tried setting a password for the user in the .csv, setting it to changeme, leaving it blank, leaving the field out of the .csv entirely, turning on/off force password change, etc... it just will NOT notify users.

Anyone ever get this fixed?

Trevor 

(Moodle 3.5.12)

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Trevor Wilson

Re: Bulk upload of users - no email

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
I seem to recall this issue that there is no provision for users added with a csv file to be emailed a notification. I don't do this myself, so can't help. However, as an alternative, your csv file probably contains student email addresses, so why not simply email students a note from your client email system?
In reply to Rick Jerz

Re: Bulk upload of users - no email

by Trevor Wilson -
Hi, Rick

I guess that's what I'm confused about. There's an option in the dialogue for 'Create user password if needed and send via email', which I imagine should generate and send a temporary password the same as if I create a single user manually and click the 'Generate password and notify user'. It does not.

I could email them, but I don't want to send them all the same temporary password... I'd rather have the system generate a unique temporary one and send them it, which it appears to be designed to do... but it just doesn't do it.

So I'm slogging through about 600 account creations manually, one by one...
In reply to Trevor Wilson

Sv: Re: Bulk upload of users - no email

by Maria Yngwe -

Hi!
I agree fully! I have exactly the same question. Yes, I can email a separate note, but why when the system seems to be designed to be able to do just that, when you register one at a time.  

What is the solution to this now 2021?

Very much looking forward to an answer from a developer.

All the best

Maria Yngwe

In reply to Maria Yngwe

Re: Sv: Re: Bulk upload of users - no email

by Randy Thornton -
Picture of Documentation writers
This works properly in Moodle 3.5 and all versions since.

- Make sure you have cron running as it should because that is the process that does the actual processing.

- Make sure that the Scheduled task "Send new user passwords" ( \core\task\send_new_user_passwords_task) is enabled and set to run ASAP because that is the particular task that creates the passwords and then sends out the emails and cron calls this process.

- Make sure your Upload type is "Add new only" and your New user password settings is "Create password if needed".

Otherwise, all the usual issues with email can happen too of course.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)