"Please close developer tool to see page" error in iPhone

"Please close developer tool to see page" error in iPhone

by Jaydip Pande -
Number of replies: 11
I am having an error while opening my site in iPhone - as soon as I open the page, get an error "Please close developer tool to see page". It only happens in iPhone, not in any android phone or desktop / laptop. I have used different browser - in Chrome, edge, Firefox. In the debugging settings, debug message is set up as "NONE". Any place I should look at?
I have noticed that, if in my phone setting in "Safari > Advanced > JavaScript" is switched off, the error goes away.
I am baffled and has been struggling to get some resolution. Have not seen something similar that can help in other forums. Any clue on this issue?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jaydip Pande

Re: "Please close developer tool to see page" error in iPhone

by Ezra Steenkamp -
Also have the same error.

Also noticed on your computer, when you zoom out to much, it also displays the same error.
In reply to Jaydip Pande

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Could you provide more information.
In reply to Marcus Green

by Jaydip Pande -
My moodle site is a mock test platform. I do not see any issue opening this page in laptop / desktop - browser tried has been Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Mozila. I have tried in my iPad as well in Safari. The page opens without any error. However, as I try to open the page in iPhone is Safari, and try to do any sort of navigation, the page goes blank with error "Please close developer tool to see page". Users in Android does not have any such error.
As mentioned by Ezra Steenkamp, I see this behaviour in iPad - but not in my laptop. Not sure if it is browser specific issue (Safari) or anything in my site.
The theme used is Lambda.
In reply to Jaydip Pande

by Jaydip Pande -
Also, I have checked in my MacBook and there is no issue. So it is not with Safari, rather it happens in iOS. And in mobile the issue is all browser (tested in Safari and Chrome).
In reply to Jaydip Pande

by Ezra Steenkamp -
Our site is in production for the past year, hundreds of students, but we had about 6 people who complained about the same error, so it is not with Moodle I guess, but something on their devices. Some was on mobile devices and others on desktop computers.

I, myself managed to replicate the issue once, but disappeared after a day.

PHP 7.4
Moodle 3.10 (But had the same issue on 3.9)

As mentioned below, I managed to get the same error before on my Google Chrome by "zooming" the screen out. After a certain resolution it showed the error.

We made some changes in Moodle with Java settings, and disabled 4 plugins, so not sure if that have anything to do with it.
In reply to Ezra Steenkamp

by Tomaz Cavalcante -

I am having the same issue here. Using Moodle 3.10 (Build: 20201109).

In reply to Tomaz Cavalcante

by Tomaz Cavalcante -
I just realize that this message has the same design used by the plugin "Disable Right Click" for other emssages. By any chance, are you using this plugin?
In reply to Tomaz Cavalcante

by Ezra Steenkamp -
Yes, we do use the "disable Right Click" plugin also on our site.

But I found a way to resolve this on desktop google chrome users:
Google Chrome->Settings->More tools->Extensions and then take of the tick on the right top "developer tools".

I would say about 1% of my users experience this error, but never had it on a phone. Always on desktop Google Chrome.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Ezra Steenkamp

by Jeff Lewis -
"disable Right Click" seemed to be the culprit for me too. Error occurred when trying to Grade an Essay in Chrome. I did not have the same issue when using Firefox. Not sure if it had something to do with pop-up windows, since I haven't experienced it in other contexts.

Many thanks for this fix, though I wish "disable Right Click" could be maintained.
In reply to Jeff Lewis

by Jeff Lewis -
Configured a Fix from within the Plugin settings for "disable Right Click", at least for Grading purposes, so it may work for other purposes as well.

Simply configure the Plugin at Site administration>Plugins>Local plugins>Disable Right Click.
Scroll down in the Settings to the Last Option: "Allow developer tools"
Enter the Page Type that is getting the Error. In our case this was: https://name.org/mod/quiz/comment.php.

Since this type of page is only accessed by Teachers for Grading purposes, we're not worried about disabling the Right Click in this instance.
In reply to Jeff Lewis

by aziz vefa -
Hi.
I confirm this solution is working.
Thank you.