Question Type: Drag and drop markers - wrong status in quiz navigation?

Question Type: Drag and drop markers - wrong status in quiz navigation?

by Anton Tremetzberger -
Number of replies: 2
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Dear Community,

we are using question type "Drag an drop markers" and there is a strange thing by marking answered/incomplete questions in the quiz navigation:

• student will start a quiz
  • navigate to a question type "Drag an drop markers"
  • answer only a part of the question
  • navigate to an other question
  • the part-answered question will be marked as "completed" (answer saved)

The marker confuses students because they think they have answered the question completely.

If they are using other question types (e.g. Drag an drop onto text/image) and they don't answer the question completely, the question will be marked as "incomplete answer"

Does anyone know why this happens? Is there any possibility to change the marker settings in the question type "Drag and Drop markers"?

We are using 3.5.15+.

thanks, best regards
Anton

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Anton Tremetzberger

Re: Question Type: Drag and drop markers - wrong status in quiz navigation?

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
This is probably a bug. Interesting that no-one has noticed before. Well done for paying attention.

Lookin at the code (https://github.com/moodle/moodle/blob/master/question/type/ddmarker/question.php#L74 for fellow developers) it does indeed look wrong. As I read that, it will consider the question 'complete' as asoon as a single marker had been dragged onto the background, which is not what we want.

Except You can have markers which are additional distractors, and which should not be dragged onto the image. Here is a very bad example I made:
So, is it possible to give the student more information about when their response is complete, without giving away clues about the answer. I can't see a way to do that. Can anyone else suggest something?