Please help set up normalized aggregation for custom scale (0-2)

Please help set up normalized aggregation for custom scale (0-2)

by Ian Rogers -
Number of replies: 1

I created a scale with the following values attached to it:

Needs Improvement = 0

Meets Expectations = 1

Exceeds Expectations = 2

According to the Moodle Scales documentation,

• When using a normalized aggregation method, 0 will become 0/6, 5 will become 1/6, 6 will become 2/6, 7 will become 3/6, 8 will become 4/6, 9 will become 5/6, and 10 will become 6/6 for grade computation, respectively.
  • When using the sum aggregation method, 0 will become 1, 5 will become 2, 6 will become 3, 7 will become 4, 8 will become 5, 9 will become 6, and 10 will become 7.
When I create a category and entries in gradebook, the max grade is listed as 3 instead of 2:

I have tried changing to every different aggregation method available on Moodle, and the Max grade always comes out as 3.

How can I set the max grade to 2 according to the "normalized aggregation method" listed in the Moodle help documentation above?

Thanks for your help all, I've tried everything I can and cannot figure out a solution.

In reply to Ian Rogers

Re: Please help set up normalized aggregation for custom scale (0-2)

by Bobby Deetz -
Hi Ian,
I understand that number you are seeing (3) to be the number of items in your scale. You have 0,1,2 so that's 3. I too am looking for the definition of "normalized aggregation." I think the main point is that SUM will start with 1 and not zero so your scale in terms of calculation would actually be 1,2,3. But I would also like a definition of "normalized" just to be sure which other methods keep the 0,1,2 series.