Helping Users Recover Passwords

Helping Users Recover Passwords

by Jessica Rocheleau -
Number of replies: 5
Is there a way I could assist users in recovering their passwords if they forget them? Can they go through the admin?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jessica Rocheleau

Re: Helping Users Recover Passwords

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hello Jessica. When they try to log in they should see a "Forgotten password?" link which they can click to get automated support with this -you don't need to be involved. Here is a screenshot

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Jessica Rocheleau -
Hi Mary, thanks for your reply.

I'm actually using Moodle in an unconventional way where users will be directed to use an anonymous email, which does not accept emails from outside sites unless they are registered at the host site.

Therefore, if they click this, they likely won't be able to get any kind of reset password link and will end up messaging me when they forget it.

Are there any other workarounds?

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi

Could you help me to understand "users will be directed to use an anonymous email, which does not accept emails from outside sites unless they are registered at the host site"?

So each user has a unique e-mail address? It is "anonymous" in the sense that the real identity is not visible in the owner name nor the e-mail address itself?

And these are real mailboxes in the sense mail will be delivered to these mailboxes? Just that the users can not read those mailboxes when they are accessing Moodle?

Am I right?

Do you have a suggestion how Moodle could help them out of this situation?

by Mawan A. Nugroho -
Hi Jessica.
You must be logged in as an Admin:
Site administration > Users > Browse list of users > Click his/her name > Edit profile > Type new password.

Another way is by direct access to the database:
Use databaseName;
update mdl_user set password = md5('New password') where username = 'his or her username';

If you don't want the hassles of being contacted by students, you can create a simple application to change passwords independently. On my system, I created a Telegram bot, where students can change their password from Telegram application. They don't need to have an email.