STACK: how to avoid "Input of units is case sensitive"

STACK: how to avoid "Input of units is case sensitive"

by Miro Iliaš -
Number of replies: 3

Hello,

I am entering the algebraic formula M*n, where both M,n are variables. However, STACK question gives input error claiming "...Input of units is case sensitive: n is an unknown unit"...

It accepts M*N, but I need to use small n, because n is different variable than N.

Any help, please ?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Miro Iliaš

Re: STACK: how to avoid "Input of units is case sensitive"

by Martin Kraska -
Perhaps you have a multipart question with both algebraic and units input. This seems to be not supported. It is possible to mix numeric and units input, numeric and algebraic but not algebraic and units. In this case, even in the algebraic input, all variables are considered to be units and if the system doesn't know them it complains.

You might have to split the question.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Martin Kraska

by Miro Iliaš -

Dear Martin,

thanks for your answer. Many times we need to enter  "ta*unit" with "ta" beeing some algebraic formula, depending on given variables.

Please is there a way to turn the "ta" algebraic value into a numeric value to be used with unit ?

In reply to Martin Kraska

by Miro Iliaš -
Ah, in between I found :

"Extra option: nounits As of STACK 4.3, if units are declared in a question then the whole question will use a units context for parsing inputs. For example, in a multi-part question you may use a matrix input. If you do so, and use variable names, then these will be parsed expecting them to be usits. To prevent this in a particular input, use the nounits option"