Libreoffice impress file (.odp) to Moodle

Libreoffice impress file (.odp) to Moodle

paul kryzine -
Колькасьць адказаў: 5

Hello,

I am a new user of moodle and would like to use it for my courses.

I have been teaching for many years using presentation tools such as impress or writer or pdf files.

Since a few month, as you know, we have been asked by the university to switch to LMS systems.

My problem is that all my materials are in "classical" files (.odp) and I would like to keep working that way and be able to convert each file into a "digest" component in moodle.

That way I will be able to teach both ways : with moodle and in classes.

I have been looking for a few days now and didn't find an obvious way to do it.

I have to say that I am using Ubuntu and open source software.

Thank you for your help.

P. Kryzine, PhD.

Сярэдняе рэйтынгаў: -
У адказ на paul kryzine

Re: Libreoffice impress file (.odp) to Moodle

Mary Cooch -
Выява Documentation writers Выява Moodle HQ Выява Particularly helpful Moodlers Выява Testers Выява Translators
Hello Paul. Can you explain more what you mean by "convert each file into a 'digest' component in moodle"? You can of course simply upload all your .odp files into Moodle and your students can access them, as long as they can open odp files. How do you want to use them differently in Moodle? Have you seen our free, self paced course Moodle Teaching Basics? It includes short videos showing you how you can add files or present materials in Moodle and might give you some ideas.
У адказ на Mary Cooch

paul kryzine -
Thank you Mary for your answer.
I know we can upload files and let students download them with the right application (odp, pdf, doc, ...).
For example, there is a proprietary solution (ispring) that convert ppt documents into scorm files.
In fact, I don't want my students to download files. I would like them to navigate into pages without having to use a client (word, powerpoint, ...).
I am using Libreoffice impress and I did an example by exporting a chapter into a folder containing html files (index.html and other files .png and .html).
When I open the index.html file with a browser (ie Firefox), I can navigate through this chapter using arrow buttons.
If you see what I mean, I would like to be able to import this kind of package or find a way of using my teaching materials using a simple and light way.
I don't know if I am clear.
Thank you again.
P. Kryzine, PhD.
У адказ на paul kryzine

Mary Cooch -
Выява Documentation writers Выява Moodle HQ Выява Particularly helpful Moodlers Выява Testers Выява Translators

Hello again Paul.

Well yes you can do it the way you tried. I think you could also upload your presentations to an external site such as Slideshare and link to them from your course - that way students can watch them slide by slide and not have to download them. If your presentations are simple I would recommend just adding the content to a Moodle book resource - they can navigate from one page to another and it works much better on smartphones and small screens. See the documentation page Book resource

У адказ на Mary Cooch

paul kryzine -
Thank you again Mary.
We are almost there.
I followed your advice and it seems to suit my needs.
I did a test by exporting a small example (odp) into an html folder. Then I used the "import chapter" feature. I draged and dropped a zip file and the system accepted it.
It is a simple presentation composed of 7 slides (in moodle we have a limitation of 2M for the upload files specified in php.ini).
I noticed a weird result as I got two times the number of slides.
Indeed, the TOC on the right slide shows 14 slides...
I am going to try again.
P. Kryzine, PhD.
У адказ на paul kryzine

paul kryzine -
Hello again Mary.
I think I understand now why the import chapter function behave like that.
In the html folder where impress has exported the files, there are two kinds of html files : img and text files.
Indeed for a same slide we'll find a imgxx.html and textxx.html files (where xx is a sequential number).
The problem is that we don't have the possibility to avoid that with libreoffice.
regards.
P. Kryzine, PhD.