Leaving my dignity at the door.

Leaving my dignity at the door.

by Marie Waterhouse -
Number of replies: 3

Greetings,

Anyone hosting on Krystal?  Want to join an Update support group?

So after years of struggling to do upgrades I am still struggling. Every single time I try it something goes wrong. I even employed the help of a paid by the hour ' server / moodle expert ' and they could not update it.....site crashed blahh blahhh blahh

So I was wondering if there was any one else out there in similar pain? Perhaps our collective minds could create a step by step 'Idiots Guide' to updates on Krystal hosted servers for non technical peeps.

Q Does it have to be Krystal Hosted? A - I don't know. That's where I am hosted and I presume each host has a different process. Emphasis on the 'I don't know bit'

Q Why don't you just follow the upgrade guide? A.  I did, I do.....many times.  I don't understand it. I need pictures. I need instructions which say - 'press the green button' I am not technical. I should be no where near a server, I am amazed I am even allowed to log into it frankly.

Q Why don't you just host with someone who will do the upgrades for you? A. I can not afford to.

Q Why doesn't your hosting company help you?  A. Krystal are amazing actually - their support. But It's getting embarrasing now. There are there if something goes wrong and have without fail got the site back on its feet ...every ...single ....time. I would just like to graduate from being a total incompetant to someone who at least knows that you should never... ever..... press the red button.

I'm leaving my dignity at the door here. If anyone else is in a similar position, lost, alone and wants the support of a group of similar incompetants then feel free to contact me or comment. I have created a Google Doc and we can work on the process together. It has got to the stage now where inability to do updates will force me to abandon MOODLE altogether and go to the dark side of MS Teams.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Marie Waterhouse

Re: Leaving my dignity at the door.

by Joost Elshoff -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Consider managed SaaS hosting of your Moodle through a Moodle Partner. Maybe a bit more expensive, but it takes away all of the hours you spend minding the technical side of things, when you could (or should) be working on the instructional design side of things.

by Marie Waterhouse -
I found an amazing guide here and have now managed to upgrade. https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=401983#p1686653

by Stelios Tzitzikakis -

Hi Marie,

Just came across your posts.
I'm glad you managed to solve your problem.

FYI, I'm also using Krystal as my Hosting provider and I also run Moodle instances.

I'm an eLearning Developer, happy to share any tips or help if you need anything in the future.

Thank you
Stelios

Average of ratings: Coolest thing ever! (1)