Improvements to Quiz settings overrides (for Moodle 3.11)

Improvements to Quiz settings overrides (for Moodle 3.11)

by Tim Hunt -
Number of replies: 6
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I have recently done a few improvements to the Quiz settings overrides. Since these are new features / improvements developed now, they should end up in Moodle 3.11.

1. MDL-69735 adds a new capability for a read-only view of the overrides that have been created.

We (that is, the Open University, UK) want this because in our processes for some quizzes, only certain people are allowed to override the time limit, but there are many more people who want to check that the right students have been allocated the extra time they need.

So, now there is a new capability 'mod/quiz:viewoverrides' to go along with the existing 'mod/quiz:manageoverrides', so now you can control which roles have read-only access to the overrides, and which have read/write. I decided the sensible default was to give 'mod/quiz:viewoverrides' to the non-editing teacher role.

2. MDL-70266 makes the user overrides screens respect the 'Show user identity' setting. This means that you can distinguish users with the same name. (Previously, it was showing jsut the email address, if that was configured, which is not what everyone wants, and in some cases could be a privacy violation.)

3. MDL-68831 adds information about whether their are overrides to the front page of the quiz

Hopefully these improvements are generally helpful.
Average of ratings: Useful (4)
In reply to Tim Hunt

Re: Improvements to Quiz settings overrides (for Moodle 3.11)

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I didn't know what a quiz override was so I found this page
https://docs.moodle.org/310/en/Quiz_settings#Group_and_User_overrides
In reply to Marcus Green

by Dominique Bauer -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Hello Marcus,

I didn't know what a quiz override was...
Speaking of overrides, I teach about 200 students each year and have several quizzes in my course. I am open to accommodating students who could not take a quiz or who had a problem during a quiz. So I end up using the User overrides all the time!

For any given quiz, it is sometimes appropriate for some students to repeat the quiz anew, while for others it is appropriate to continue their previous attempt. It would therefore be convenient to be able to change the "Every attempt builds on the last" setting in the Users overrides.
Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Dominique Bauer

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
I agree, Dominque. Moodle's "quiz override" feature is great. I can't say that I use it a lot, but it is great to have when needed. In my own case, I might open up an exam for Monday through Friday. I know that a few students will delay, and ask to take the exam on Saturday or Sunday, which doesn't bother me. So I tell students to let me know. In a course of 45 students, I typically have two or three that make this request.

Since my courses are always completely online, I like to use these requests to create some good interaction between me and the students. And I like students to think that I am a good instructor willing to accommodate their special needs. Sure, I could open the quiz from Monday to Sunday, but I don't. I prefer getting students to finish their exams on a timely basis.

A "Every attempt builds on the last" setting would be helpful, too.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
As soon as you have given a student an override allowing more than one attempt, then the 'Each attempt build on last' option becomes available in the quiz settings, and you can enable it.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Dominique Bauer -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
There is no problem setting "Each attempt builds on the last" in the quiz settings. But doesn't that affect, the same way, all students who are granted a new attempt?

The situation occurs relatively often where after a quiz, I allow student A to resume his test where he left off ("Each attempt builds on the last: Yes") and I allow student B to redo his test anew ("Each attempt builds on the last: No"). Indeed, all students are not in the same situation and have to retake their quiz for different reasons.
Average of ratings: Useful (5)
In reply to Dominique Bauer

by Tim Hunt -
Ah! That is the first time someone has explained that requirement to me fully.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)