Ebedding Videos as submissions for Assignments

Ebedding Videos as submissions for Assignments

by Paul Raper -
Number of replies: 8

We have a course at our university called Digital Story Telling which requires students to produce videos about technical topics.

We wanted that the students save these videos on an internal video repository channel, and then submit their finished work to Moodle.

What we do is set up an assignment, but rather than a file submission, which would be way too big to upload, we asked the students to use the Comments/online submission format and embed the code into the box.

Initially, this seems to work, but once submitted, the video disappears. It works if they submit a URL link, but we thought we could save the teachers several clicks by having the videos already there when they looked at the submissions.

Below you will find the sequence of events. Code that is entered, Video appears, albeit with error message, URL has also been added to show what the teacher will finally see, Image 3.

Does anyone else know of a way to solve this issue?

Attachment Video Submission-1.png
Attachment Video Submission-2.png
Attachment Video Submission-3.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Paul Raper

Re: Ebedding Videos as submissions for Assignments

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
In your example, the URL does not end with ".mp4" so I believe Moodle's internal video player will not recognize it. You are then left with the common video players that Moodle does support, such as Youtube and Vimeo. My guess is that whatever you are using as a video repository is not recognized by Moodle. Explore the list of the media player within Moodle (Site administration / Plugins / Media players / Manage media players) and see if yours is supported. Maybe you just need to turn it "on."

In my own case, I use Vimeo. My URL's from Vimeo look something like yours. I turn on the Vimeo player in Moodle, and then the video shows.
In reply to Paul Raper

by Justin Hunt -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
It is probably because students do not have permission to embed iframe content.
See this doc: https://docs.moodle.org/310/en/Iframe

If you have Generico or Poodll filters installed it would be possible to create a template to embed the content.
See: https://moodle.org/plugins/filter_generico

The other way is to give permission to embed iframes .
See Enable trusted content on this page :
https://docs.moodle.org/310/en/Site_security_settings
Though I am not sure if that will work in the assignment submission or not ...
Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Justin Hunt

by Paul Raper -
Hi Justin,

Many thanks for that, it seemed to work once I enabled those options. Good to know.

Best,

Paul
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Justin Hunt

by Paul Raper -
Hi Justin,

It works to a point. Having allowed embedded objects and also trusted content, I now can embed, and save without getting the error message, but when I go to look at the assignment as a teacher, the content has vanished.

Best,
Paul
In reply to Paul Raper

by C Behan -
Hi Paul,
Are you using the 'log in as' feature to view as a teacher? If yes, you are probably fine. (Check out this discussion)
In reply to C Behan

by Paul Raper -
Indeed, it looks very much like a similar problem. But just to iterate: we want that students can submit a video as part of their assignment work. Now that I have enabled trusted content, I can submit something as a student by embedding the code link, but, once the page is submitted by the student, the whole thing is lost, and as a teacher and student I am not able to see what it was that was submitted: the code seems to get removed.
This is really causing a lot of frustration. We do not always expect students to submit a file, or a link to Mahara. If we are looking for some kind of online text, it might just be that as part of that online text, we would like a video to be submitted. It would be really awesome if we can find a fix for this.
In reply to Paul Raper

by C Behan -
Hi Paul,
When you say ' I can submit something as a student', are you actually logging in with a test account?
In reply to C Behan

by Paul Raper -
So ok, I have a platform where I have two accounts, one as a student, one as a teacher.
If I login using my student account, I can do things exactly as a student would do. I can then login using my teacher's account, and see what took place.