Content Item Selection Requests

Content Item Selection Requests

by Simon Schwarz -
Number of replies: 3

Hi all,

maybe I'm missing something here, but is there not a way for Moodle (as a TP) to display a content selection dialog as a response to a message with lti_message_type: ContentItemSelectionRequest as specified in LTI 1.1? 

Publishing via external tools just means launch requests, right?

Thanks.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Simon Schwarz

Re: Content Item Selection Requests

by Jake Dallimore -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Simon,

That's right. For 1.1 (the current tool provider implementation), there's only support for normal launches, not deep linking launches. That's coming when we update the provider to 1.3 shortly. You can follow that work in MDL-69542.

Jake
In reply to Jake Dallimore

by Anthony Rae -
Hi Jake, If I am understanding you correctly, are you saying you can NOT use the "select content" option when adding an external tool - if the external LTI is 1.1? 

I have tried adding an 1.1 LTI to moodle, following the instructions provided by the external LTI and when I choose 'select content' I am able to select a piece of content, but then the response simply updates the modal window to show the moodle login screen. I have tried this on the demo instance available at moodle.org and my own instance - same result.
Attachment screenshot - moodle response.png
In reply to Anthony Rae

by Jake Dallimore -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Anthony,

If I am understanding you correctly, are you saying you can NOT use the "select content" option when adding an external tool - if the external LTI is 1.1? 

Not quite. What I meant was the the Moodle LTI Tool Provider (where Moodle IS the tool, consumed by some other system) doesn't support content selection at all. As a Tool Consumer, like in your instance, Moodle should be able to process deep linking returns.

I can't comment on the problem you're experiencing without more information. It would help if you could create a new forum post (this thread is about something else and I'd prefer to leave it alone) and clearly explain what version of Moodle you're using, what tool, what you see in the browser's network tab in dev tools (any errors, warnings, etc).

Thanks
Jake