moving question bank from one moodle site to another

moving question bank from one moodle site to another

by Luigi Esposito -
Number of replies: 4

Hi,

I'm the admin of two Moodle sites, A and B. I would like to copy some questions from the question bank of site A to site B. I wouldn't want to move any other content (resources and activities) and I would like to keep all  content of site B in the current state.

How could I proceed?

Luigi

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Luigi Esposito

Re: moving question bank from one moodle site to another

by Dave Sherwin -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Moodle Question banks allow you to Import questions and Export questions. This works great for moving questions between courses besides some other methods. However if you have many multiple courses on your Moodle site (A) that you want to move to site (B) you would have to move those questions by each individual courses. So this could be time consuming if you many courses.
Not sure if there is something an Admin user could do at the site level?
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Dave Sherwin

Ri: Re: moving question bank from one moodle site to another

by Luigi Esposito -
Hi Dave,
thanks for answering my question.
I saw the "Export question bank to a file" page of my Moodle site (A).
It asks me to choose a file format: Aiken, GIFT, XML or XHTML.

Can you help me decide which of them is a good choice for me to perform the operation I wrote in the topic?

Please note that I have all kinds of questions (numeric, short answer, cloze, ...) and some questions contain images in the text, too.
I would like to move questions from site A to site B while keeping all their properties.

Luigi
In reply to Luigi Esposito

Re: Ri: Re: moving question bank from one moodle site to another

by Dave Sherwin -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
I always use the Moodle XML format because it is was developed by the Moodle Community. Therefore if you are moving Questions from Moodle Site to another Moodle Site this works best.

The Aiken format is only for Multiple Choice answers. When you have to create many MC questions this is the fastest way to create questions outside of Moodle and then Import

I have never uses either the GIFT format or XHTML format so cannot say much about those 2 export file types.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Dave Sherwin

Ri: Re: Ri: Re: moving question bank from one moodle site to another

by Luigi Esposito -
Yessss!
It works. My questions are moved correctly from site A to site B (MCSA, short answer, ...) and the questions with pictures are also moved correctly.
Thank you very much,
Luigi
PS: I used the "Moodle XML format"