Single sign on with various lms sites

Single sign on with various lms sites

by Mahesh Koppisetti -
Number of replies: 6

Hi Team,

I am requesting someone to respond on my query related to single sign on

My question is imagine that we have multiple vendors who gives course content to us, They will not provide content directly  instead of that all of the activities we should take from their lms site like coursera or edx.

We will just click on course in moodle lms will redirect the user to coursera or edx , after redirecting the user to that lms sites it should not ask for login instead of that it should display all those activities related to that course.

Is this achievable in moodle with single sign on?

Regards,

Mahesh K.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mahesh Koppisetti

Re: Single sign on with various lms sites

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Is that achievable in Moodle - only Moodle, no; using Moodle as a front end if the other end supports it, yes.
Is that achievable in the sources of the courses you have - you'd need to ask them whether they are a. LTI compatible or b. able to accept SSO sessions from an external source such as your Moodle site.
SSO between sites requires both ends to enable the facility, you cannot do it only in the Moodle side.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mahesh Koppisetti

by Benjamin Ellis -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Hi,

In a nutshell, no.

What you need is a federated SSO system like Shibboleth (used mainly by universities in US and Europe)  and the provider will have to be part of the federation.  If the providers support it you could try using OAuth2 services or OpenID.  In all cases you will need to decide if Moodle will be the identity provider (IdP) but in the later two maybe use Google, Facebook and the like as IdPs.

In reply to Benjamin Ellis

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I was once the person that installed and maintained a OpenAthens federated setup for a University. It's complex.
In reply to Marcus Green

by Benjamin Ellis -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
If I remember correctly, Athens integrated with Shibboleth as the UK was pushing Shibboleth as a common education technology through JISC and BECTA (there's a blast from the past) and Shibboleth was no joke either - it became my specialty for several years with other SSO technologies.
In reply to Benjamin Ellis

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I was originally going to mention Shibboleth in my post but there were so many acronyms and jargon I was not entirely certain it was part of the mix. I spent the first few weeks in the job wondering if I could speak to the expert and eventually realised it was going to have to be me. The area is sufficiently complex you could get an entire career out of it. Not a career I wanted.