Quiz points when using random questions

Quiz points when using random questions

by Michael Knichel -
Number of replies: 5

I have a few pools to choose from for a quiz.  If I select 10 from each pool and different questions have different point values (marks), how do I set the max marks for the quiz?

Currently, I have a quiz that shows 34 points, but that will depend on the questions that each student gets? won't it?  What do I enter for max when creating the quiz?

If a question in the pool has a value of 2 for "Marked out of", then when I add a random question to the quiz it has a question "Random (Mod-01-Dynamic)(See questions)" with a value of 1.00 to the right.  I assume that value is the max points?  What do I do here?

Basically, each student will have a different max points depending on the questions they get.

MK

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Michael Knichel

Re: Quiz points when using random questions

by Michael Knichel -
Bump...

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
My questions are always worth 1 point, so I don't know how to answer your question. However, you can experiment on your own to see what happens. Set up a few bogus students and let them try a quiz. See what happens. Make sure to go back and forth between the quiz review and your grade book to understand how a quiz score shows in the grade book.

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
You can set the point value for the quiz in the quiz settings. If you have ten questions each worth 1, and the quiz is set to 100, each question will adjusted to ten points each. That is a simple example but Moodle will calculate out the adjusted value of the questions. Tim will correct me if I am wrong but I fairly sure that is how it works...
In reply to Emma Richardson

by Michael Knichel -
So the problem is this... I created many pools of questions and I am creating quizzes from randomly selected questions from 1 or more pools. Questions have different point (mark) values (1-3 pts). It seems that when you create a random quiz, it uses 1 as the mark value for each question rather than the mark value defined in the pool where the question is pulled from.
There is NO way to know how many points a quiz will be worth if each student will receive a different set of questions. This should be calculated internally when the student starts the quiz and then converted to a percentage (out of 100%). A flaw in the quizzing engine if you ask me.

by Dominique Bauer -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Hello Michael,

Random questions were designed so that students would have different questions but with identical weights. Indeed, the literature states:

The grade for the randomly chosen question will be rescaled so that the maximum grade is what you have chosen as the grade for the random question.

If you have questions worth 1, 2 and 3 points, it would be best to divide them into categories or sub-categories according to their value. You will choose random questions from these categories or sub-categories. This way, students will have different questions and the maximum score for the quiz will be the same for all students, which seems normal.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)