2 gradebook graded items for 1 graded forum activity?

2 gradebook graded items for 1 graded forum activity?

by Ric Saturay -
Number of replies: 3

Hi,

I have one graded forum activity, but it reflects as two graded items in the gradebook:

Forum activity: Discussion1

Gradebook items: Rating Grade for Discussion 1, and Whole Forum Grade for Discussion 1

I am confused, as I think there should just be one grade for the activity. Can you clarify what is the distinction between rating grade and whole forum grade?

I want to avail of the whole forum grade, but also want to define the aggregation method under rating grade. But in the end, I just need one grade item for this activity.

Thanks.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ric Saturay

Re: 2 gradebook graded items for 1 graded forum activity?

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Forums have two different ways to grade. When you set up a forum, you can choose either way, or both. My guess is that you have chosen both, which is why you see two grade book items.

I prefer to use only "ratings." As students make posts, I award them up to 3 points per post (based upon quality of what they said.) Then I use "sum" ratings, which totals these and shows the total score in the student grade book. I prefer this approach because I can read and grade the students' comments "in context."

However, some instructors like to see all student posts and provide a whole discussion grade. This feature was added, oh, about a year ago.

One could actually use both methods, and see what you are seeing. One could also, in the grade book, create a new grade item based upon both of these scores, and show that to students. This is a little more advanced approach, but could be done.

Below is an example of how I set up my forum grading.

Attachment Example of Forum Grading.png
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Ric Saturay -
Thanks, Rick. Your response cleared up things for me.
In reply to Ric Saturay

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Great! Have fun with the Moodle Forum feature.