Logging in to the course with student ID

Logging in to the course with student ID

by Sharon Hecker -
Number of replies: 2

Hello all,

I think I'd need some guidance. I would like to setup my course so that students could enrol to the course just by using their student ID (usually 9 numerical digits). What would be the easiest way to do this (without specifying all of these id's prior to the course as self enrolment keys)?

My other option would  be establishing an external page where students could put their student ID and get a generated 5-digit code in order to login to the course. But the same problem persists with this option.

Thank you in advance! 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sharon Hecker

Re: Logging in to the course with student ID

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Make the username their student ID.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Sharon Hecker

Re: Logging in to the course with student ID

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
As already pointed out the student ID is the logical username. In certain cases it makes sense to have the full e-mail address, studentID@example.com, as the username too, assuming that your students get  mail boxes of that format.

The communication for the initial log in can be done through one of the methods documented in https://docs.moodle.org/en/Upload_users. The most common one is not to have an email column at all. Then Moodle will send an invitation.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)