Best version for new install?

Best version for new install?

by Sean Murray -
Number of replies: 4

I know this is really an "it depends" question, but is there a general consensus on the most stable version that also is the most compatible with plugins and themes? I just completed an install of the latest version, 3.10, and it seems as though there are a lot of themes and plugins that are not compatible.

I'm on a CentOS 7 VM with tons of memory/cpu/disk, so I'm not worried about the infrastructure. Also, this would eventually be used as a production LMS.

TIA

-Sean

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sean Murray

Re: Best version for new install?

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Yep ... 'depends' ... + you've really answered your own question when it comes to themes and addons.

Having said that, however, if the site is installed with git and you follow a wise and 'good' site backup practice ... one should always research an addon and/or a theme anyway prior to attempting to install.   So if you are a 'gotta have' theme or addon person, then they determine when you jump.

But ... I'll bite ... I wouldn't recommend a x.x.0 of any major release as that makes you an 'omicron tester' - wait til x.x.2 or .3 for the 'dust to settle'.  Long Term Support versions ... get to them as soon as you can so you can enjoy (or ignore) the 'nags' (notifications about new version available).   Easy to do with git.

Having said that however, versioning to change in near future ... when what would have been 4.0 is released it will be 400 ... think that will be interesting to see just how confusing that will be.

Also ... what you have now will become production you say ... Just before making it 'public', advise cloning it to a dev site and tinker/play there all you like considering you said you weren't worried about 'infrastructure'.

Actually, the stability of 'STABLE' has a alot to do with server admin him/herself ... if they are 'STABLE', site usually is! smile

My 2 'sense' ...

'SoS', Ken

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Sean Murray

Re: Best version for new install?

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
In many (most?) cases, it just means that they haven't been tested yet. If you're prepared to live on the edge a bit you can run the latest release and install the plugins anyway. Most of the time they work fine.