Confusing message shown for a 'date' question type

Confusing message shown for a 'date' question type

by Yannick Geynet -
Number of replies: 7

Hi,

As I am using Questionnaire on a Moodle 3.9 in french, any question based on a 'date' question-type will show the following message : "Enter the date using the date picker below, or by using the 'YYYY-MM-DD' format."

Unfortunately, in french, as it is mentioned by the browser in the field below the message, we use the 'dd/mm/yyyy' format. It is confusing for users.

All our modern browsers wil recognize an type="date" HTML-input element then indicate to users the right format (depending to the language settings).

So is it possible to delete the message on top of the field ?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Yannick Geynet

Re: Confusing message shown for a 'date' question type

by Mike Churchward -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
It's a language string, so you just need to customize the message in the language editor of your site.
In reply to Mike Churchward

by Pablo Vaccarezza -
There is no entry for that line in the language editor. Can u please tell me in wich php is hardcoded? I need to translate it to spanish.

Thanks
In reply to Pablo Vaccarezza

by Nurbek Tentiev -
There is this text string in the language editor. I translated it to Russian.
In reply to Yannick Geynet

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
I expect that the original requirement for the Date format was, as specified by the instructions of the type YYYY-MM-DD. But at some later stage this was replaced by the drop-down calendar feature, which makes it much easier to enter a date.
@Mike, I suggest that that misleading & useless instruction string be removed altogether from Questionnaire.
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Mike Churchward -
The message really needs to be there to support browsers that don't support the "data" input (Safari for example). In that case, the only format that will work is the "YYYY-MM-DD" format.
In reply to Mike Churchward

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Thanks for that info, Mike. I don't know much about exotic browsers such as that "Safari" you mention. Always thought Safari was all about hunting lions and rhinos.wink

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Mike Churchward -
Lol... In case you are serious, Safari is Apple's default browser.