Best practice on where to store auxiliar material

Best practice on where to store auxiliar material

Orestes Mas - මගින්
Number of replies: 2
Translators ගේ පින්තුරය

Hi,

Like most of you, I often create Moodle material with some kind of media files embedded: images/animations/videos, linked files (mostly pdf), etc. interspersed within text in quiz questions, book/lesson pages, etc. I am talking about own resources, not internet resources you can simply link.

I know they are at least 3 ways to store all these related files within Moodle:

1. Create ad-hoc Moodle resources on the Course main page and put links to them into other pages. This works if the linked resources have significance on their own (i.e. makes sense to view them separately) and if their number are small (to not clutter the main course page). Doesn't work, for instance, to display an image into a quiz question.
  2. When editing text you can insert an image/video to be displayed, or you can create a link pointing to a file. In those cases a "file picker" dialog appears and you can choose to "upload a file" which, if I'm correct, will end up being stored and indexed into the Moodle's "filedir" area so this will not be duplicated if inserted/referenced more than once. In my opinion, the main drawback of this method is that the files remain somewhat "buried" inside the Moodle's bowels and it's difficult to know hown many files, and which ones, we have stored.
  3. Create some repository resource and upload your materials there, then pick them up from there when editing your texts. I understand that when you pick a file this way you're offered the choice of "linking" the file or "copying" it and, in the latter case, the file ends up being stored in the "filedir" area like before. But if you always select the "link" option you're not duplicating information and you can

So, I would like to know your opinions on which method should be preferable regarding aspects like ease of using and maintaining, backup/restore resources with this embedded material on the same site or other sites, etc. Which system do you use? Do you have any other suggestions?

Thaks in advance.

ශ්‍රේණිගත කිරීම්වල සාමාන්යය: -
In reply to Orestes Mas

Re: Best practice on where to store auxiliar material

Rick Jerz - මගින්
Particularly helpful Moodlers ගේ පින්තුරය Testers ගේ පින්තුරය

I have my own way of storing auxiliary material.  I gave a MoodleMoot presentation a few years ago, which you might find will help give you a few more ideas.

MoodleMoot2018 (Spain and Mountain), "Managing Course Content Using a “Personal Repository” (My associated video for this presentation is captioned in both English and Spanish.)

Briefly, I store all "web page" content outside of my Moodle, but on the same web server (my VPS.)  Of course, I use Moodle for quizzes, and although I could store quiz images outside of Moodle, I don't.  This is because I want to keep quiz questions and any associated images within the quiz questions.  However, yes, I have thought about keeping quiz question images outside of Moodle.  I guess that I could go either way.  Yes, you are correct with your #2.  For #3, I am not sure because I don't do this.

I am using Vimeo for storing my videos.

So, even though my "content" is contained in different places, my students wouldn't know the difference.  They see everything as if it is within their course.

Arguments can be made for any of these methods.  One factor, in my case, is that I am trying to keep my Moodle's backup files small.  Right now, my moodledata folder contents are around 10GB.  My videos, on Vimeo, occupy around 60GB.  My VPS has 120GB available storage, and I currently use around 80GB.  

ශ්‍රේණිගත කිරීම්වල සාමාන්යය: Useful (2)
In reply to Rick Jerz

Re: Best practice on where to store auxiliar material

Orestes Mas - මගින්
Translators ගේ පින්තුරය
Okay. Seen. Thanks for sharing your methods.

I already have my own server (in fact, I operate a moodle site within my university to have more control than the official moodle site offers), and I configured a virtual server site to serve large files like videos, because if I embed them inside my courses the backups become large, as you also point in your presentation.

For the other (smaller) content I use to embed it into Moodle, mainly because I started that way many years ago, but for various reasons I'm becoming increasingly dissatisfied with that approach, and your solution seems to work better. The only thing that prevents me to switch methods is that my current material has a lot of media embedded in a lot of places (questions, mainly) and every present link has to be converted into an "external" link, and this is tedious and error-prone. Will see if I can automat the process somehow.

Thanks again.
Orestes.
ශ්‍රේණිගත කිරීම්වල සාමාන්යය: -