Course Completion Question - from a newbie

Course Completion Question - from a newbie

by Richard Beazley -
Number of replies: 4

Hi,

I am very new to Moodle having just created a MoodleCloud account to transfer a current classroom-based course to online.

So far I have setup a test course with a number of activities and used a test user to see how that functions from the student's end.  The student's progress appears 100% (all boxes have green ticks).

I have setup Course Completion so that all activities have to be completed.

When I view the Course Completion report (Edit > More > Reports > Course Completion, the "Course Complete" box has a blue tick.

A couple of questions.

Should an automated email be sent to the student stating that they have completed the course?

I can't see where to setup certificates?  If this can be done, how does this work from a student's end?

Thanks smile

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Richard Beazley

Re: Course Completion Question - from a newbie

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Richard and welcome to Moodle! smile

Should an automated email be sent to the student stating that they have completed the course?

No, course completion functionality doesn't include email notifications. For more details of how it works, please see the documentation Using Course completion.

I can't see where to setup certificates? If this can be done, how does this work from a student's end?

Assuming you're on a MoodleCloud plan which includes custom certificates, you should be able to set one up in your course by turning editing on, clicking 'Add an activity or resource' and selecting 'Custom certificate'.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Helen Foster

by Richard Beazley -
Thanks Helen - both for the warm welcome and the advice provided.

I have now setup a custom certificate (basic but gets my testing closer to completion) and added that as the final activity of my test course and have set it to email the student.
However, my test student account can select the 'completion certificate' activity without having completed all the prior activities. Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks again.
In reply to Richard Beazley

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Have you set up Activity completion for all prior activities?

You will then need to go into the certificate settings and set access restrictions for the prior activities. For more details, please see Restrict access.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Helen Foster

by Richard Beazley -
Thanks Helen.
I had originally set course competency but needed to tweak a couple of aspects.

Now all correct.
Thanks again.