500 internal server error for 3.9.2: too many processor requests theme debug script

500 internal server error for 3.9.2: too many processor requests theme debug script

by Marcus McKinley -
Number of replies: 2

Not sure if this should be posted in performance or themes:  I am using using version 3.9.2. with the Boost theme.  Moodle was installed at SiteGround using their installer.  Everything checked out ok until the number of users climbed over about 50.  As the number climbed to 250, the 500 internal server errors happened to most users.  Siteground support noticed that the number of server processes allowed was exceeding the maximum by 10 times or more.  Most of the processes were of this type: 

root     32068  0.0  0.0  236  4 ?  S  22:28 0:00 /usr/local/1h/sbin/hive_exec ~1085 1085 styles_debug.php

All the scripts seem to be leading to this:  Timeout waiting for output from CGI script /home/u586-qyz54a5t7s8s/w.../public_html/contest/theme/styles_debug.php

The most executed scripts during the problem were:

774952.../theme/styles_debug.php      /home/u586-qyz54a5t7s8s/www/fenwickscience.com/public_html/contest/theme/styles_debug.php      

17397 ...theme/image.php  /home/u586-qyz54a5t7s8s/...public_html/contest/theme/image.php             

8549 ...pluginfile.php   home/u586-qyz54a5t7s8s/www/...public_html/contest/pluginfile.php              

7576 ...lib/ajax/service.php  /home/u586-qyz54a5t7s8s/...public_html/contest/lib/ajax/service.php        

4847 .../theme/font.php   /home/u586-qyz54a5t7s8s/...public_html/contest/theme/font.php

I'm not using any third party plugins.  I have the Fordson theme installed but am not using it.

I'm at a loss.  Again, this issue is directly related to the traffic volume at the site, but it doesn't seem as though 200 users should crash it.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Marcus McKinley

Re: 500 internal server error for 3.9.2: too many processor requests theme debug script

by Leon Stringer -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Is Theme designer mode enabled? The requests to theme/styles_debug.php suggests it is. Try turning it off.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Leon Stringer

Re: 500 internal server error for 3.9.2: too many processor requests theme debug script

by Marcus McKinley -
Thank you!
It WAS on even though the default is "no". I wonder how that happened? (not my click)
And now I'll have to find a way to test if this was the problem without using a live situation with students.