Matching issue

Matching issue

by R A -
Number of replies: 13

Hi all,

I'm using Moodle 3.8

First of all, apologies if this question has been already asked and answered. I've had a long look at the forum but I haven't been able to find it.

So, here's my problem.

I would like to design a question where students have to sort words or items into different categories, but the number of words is far superior to the number of categories.

I have tried matching questions as well as drag and drop questions but I haven't been able to get what I want, i.e. different words/items matched with one larger category, without their order or specific position mattering.

I'm not fussy about the type of graphic output, could be anything like the two examples below, or even just text

I have tried to keep this short but hopefully what I'd like to do has come across. PLease disregard the categories themselves, they're just meant as examples.

Thanks in advance for any input,

Remy

Average of ratings: -
In reply to R A

Re: Matching issue

by Dominique Bauer -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Bonjour Remy,

You could use the "Drag and drop markers" question type. You will find an example in question 5 at https://qa.moodledemo.net/mod/quiz/view.php?id=31:

Formulas_20201112-1705.png

Formulas_20201113-1418.png
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Dominique Bauer

by R A -
Hi Dominique,

Thanks a lot for this. I actually had tried something like that but I'd gotten nowhere.

For some reasons, the drop zone coordinates would change and their format would not correspond to the valid one. I had not edited them with the keyboard, just using the mouse and dragging the bottom right-hand corner, but still the format would be all off, i.e. there was series of numbers after the last pair of three digit numbers

So, I've got another question smile is there anyway to edit the markers so that the format would correpond to a a strip of text or a paragraph and not a string of words that randomly jumps to the next line. (I'm sorry, I'm a complete ignoramus in programming and html writing)
What I'm trying to do is have te student sort bits from a text into the type of document they correspond to.

Thanks a lot for your help,

Remy
In reply to R A

by Dominique Bauer -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Hello Remy,

...a string of words that randomly jumps to the next line.

In the Drag and drop markers question, the markers do not behave like this. If your Moodle and plugin versions are not up to date, this could be the cause.

With the current version of the question, the marker text is displayed on a single line, unless you enter a line break with the <br> tag.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Dominique Bauer

by R A -
Hello Dominique,

Thanks a lot for this, you managed to understand despite the lack of clarity in my post. The line break will make the difference.
In reply to R A

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Remy,

you wrote "is there anyway to edit the markers so that the format would correspond to a a strip of text or a paragraph and not a string of words that randomly jumps to the next line. (I'm sorry, I'm a complete ignoramus in programming and html writing)
What I'm trying to do is have te student sort bits from a text into the type of document they correspond to."

I don't quite understand what you want to do. Please provide a concrete example (a mock screen will do).

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by R A -
Hi Joseph, and thanks for your reply.

Sorry about the confusion in my post. Let's say that what's in the marker is a short paragraph, a series of words longer than the size of the line as it will be displayed in the marker. As Dominique pointed out, it is displayed as a single line when you're editing the marker, so I guess I should be OK with Dominique's suggestion. What was happening was that I had failed to insert
the content of the marker would jump to the next line when the series of words was too long, similar to what happens in the cell of a spreadsheet document.
Thank you for your help,
Remy
In reply to R A

by Matthias Giger -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
In case you can install plugins, with the right options, the gapfill question type can do what you have in mind:
https://moodle.org/plugins/qtype_gapfill

All you have to do is to write something like this:

Words:
[word1|word2|word3|word4|word5]

Expressions
[expression1|expression2|expression3|expression4|expression5]

In the settings you active the "no duplicate setting".

Now the user can put any "word" into the three words gaps and any "expression" into the expression gaps.

In case you want additional wrong items, you can type them into the distractor field.

For a more suitable formatting, you can make use of tables.
Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Matthias Giger

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Matthias, do you think it would make sense to change the name to something like 'Wordlist mode'?
In reply to Marcus Green

by Matthias Giger -
Dear Marcus

I think the "no duplicate mode" explains quite well what it does. For me a "wordlist mode" doesn't give a better explanation.

The main problem is probably that too many people still don't know about your question type at all or when they do, they are not aware of how powerful it is.

Greetings from Switzerland
Matthias

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Thanks Mattias, I keep intending to do more coverage/promotion/tutorials on it, but then I get distracted by other things...

by R A -
Thank you Matthias, I had not thought of using | with full sentences although I did use it in gapfills for short phrases

There's something odd happening though when using this in gapfills questions. When I set the feedback so that students will see the correct answers after completing the quiz. There's no space between the correct solutions, see below

I tried to see what happened when I typed "Phrase1 | Phrase2" (sorry, I don't know much about html) but it didn't change anything. This is not a real problem but I thought I'd mention it since we're discussing this.

Edit:

So, I tried changing the language setting for the whole course in which the quiz is placed, and apparently, this solved the problem, see below

Is this because the French operator "ou" wasn't recognised as such?

Thank you all for your time and help

In reply to R A

by Matthias Giger -

I just had a look at my installation and the same happens when you the course language is set to French.

My guess is, that the French translation is not correct. Whereas it should be _ou_ (_ being an empty space), it is probably only ou.

However, I don't exactly know where that language string is stored in the system. Maybe Marcus Green can fix it in the next release.