Suitable SMTP Servers for Outgoing mail configuration

Suitable SMTP Servers for Outgoing mail configuration

by Ejiro Ekpogbe -
Number of replies: 5
Hello everyone,

Please I urgently need your advice or suggestions. I had configured Gmail as our institution's smtp server for outgoing mails but we are currently having challenges with the daily limit for sending messages and have been blocked several times because we exceeded the daily limit.

Based on your experience with smtp connections, could you please advice on other possible solutions we can adopt?

Thank you for your responses to this.

Ejiro
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ejiro Ekpogbe

Re: Suitable SMTP Servers for Outgoing mail configuration

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi

Not only the capacity limit is reason for moving away from Gmail, it is simply unprofessional for a serious institution.

The first choice in your case is to use your own mail server. I assume the staff get their official e-mail addresses on your own domain. So, check with your IT who manages that server. They should allow the Moodle server to relay e-mail through their SMTP server.
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Ejiro Ekpogbe -
Dear Visvanath,

Thank you for your response. Yes we have our domain but it a google domain. I thought that since it was an enterprise solution we wouldn't have issues with sending messages but unfortunately that is not the case.

Please what other options are available?

You're welcome! So it is the mail service of your domain, which is insufficient? Not a good start, because that is what they are for. Somebody else having to take over that job, often leads to less than optimum satisfaction. You'll be surprised to know how involved such a basic thing as e-mail is.

Anyway, if you have to look out side, the kind of service you need is called mail relay or SMTP relay. See https://www.mailjet.com/blog/news/what-is-an-smtp-relay/. Go for a serious (paid) service. They will advice you in setting up - not only the Moodle settings, generally you need to configure https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sender_Policy_Framework, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DomainKeys_Identified_Mail, etc.

Please note that this is not really a topic for moodle.org. Moodle is not a provider of mail relays, it is a consumer!
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Ejiro Ekpogbe -

Dear Visvanath,

Thank you so much, this is very helpful. I will look up the site. We don't mind getting a paid service so long as it is efficient and meets our needs. Have you used the service before?

Kind regards

Hi

It was not my intention to recommend a particular mail service. It was a clever move by them to put up this blog. I just searched the web for "smtp mail relay" and that post came up.

As I said, it need to be a paid/professional service for a professional institute. Still, getting this service externally is only the second best solution. The best is the hosting provider of your domain. I can't understand why with an "enterprise" package you need to outsource parts - Google or not. Well, I won't understand, I avoid Google like the plague. But that is a different topic.