Taskchain and "resume" function problem

Taskchain and "resume" function problem

by Robert Maran -
Number of replies: 33

Hi Gordon,

It appears that the "resume" function in task chain  does not seem to be working. When a student abandons a task chain, and returns to that taskchain at a later date, instead of being presented with a "resume" button, they are presented with "preview task activity now", and all the scores of tasks they may have done in the task chain are not retained. Meaning the student is forced to do all the tasks in the task chain from the beginning. Perhaps my settings are wrong? Please advise....I am using moodle version 3.9.2.

Thanks in advance

Robert

Attempt restrictions

! Attempts allowed
             Unlimited attempts             1             2             3             4             5             6             7             8             9             10         
! Allow resume
             No             Yes             Force         
! Allow free access
                          No                          Grade >= 5%             Grade >= 10%             Grade >= 15%             Grade >= 20%             Grade >= 25%             Grade >= 30%             Grade >= 35%             Grade >= 40%             Grade >= 45%             Grade >= 50%             Grade >= 55%             Grade >= 60%             Grade >= 65%             Grade >= 70%             Grade >= 75%             Grade >= 80%             Grade >= 85%             Grade >= 90%             Grade >= 95%             Grade >= 100%                          Attempts >= 1             Attempts >= 2             Attempts >= 3             Attempts >= 4             Attempts >= 5         
! Manual completion
             No             Yes         

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Robert Maran

Re: Taskchain and "resume" function problem

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Robert,
the "Preview ..." button should only be available to teachers. from what you say, it seems that your students are being treated as teachers.
I'll go and check on my Moodle 3.9 site.
In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Robert,
on my Moodle 3.9 site, when using the "student" role, I can see the "Review" link, and the "Start new attempt" button (see attached screen shot).
That's seems normal to me.

Therefore, I think in the particular Taskchain you have reported, the standard permissions have been overridden so that the student role has the "mod/taskchain:preview" permission enabled.

Please could you check that?
Attachment Screen Shot 2020-11-06 at 14.04.49.png

by Robert Maran -
Hi Gordon
Thanks for your quick reply. I changed the site settings as per your direction, but the result seems the same- meaning no resume button appears as per your screenshot. See my screenshot below.  Perhaps my settings for a individual task chain are wrong? Any advice on how to fix this would be appreciated....
Cheers
Robert

by Robert Maran -

Hi Gordon

Do the settings in the attached screenshot have any bearing on why there is no "resume" button appearing?

Robert

by Robert Maran -
Hi Gordon
Just to let you know that I have resolved the problem of no "resume" button being shown. It had to do with "taskchain edit settings"=> "exit page" => "exit feedback" all "uncheck" and "exit page links" , "retry" and "course" ONLY checked. This seems to have resolved my issue.

Best
Rober
In reply to Robert Maran

by Gordon Bateson -
Wow! Nice detective work, Robert.
And thanks for letting us know 👍

by Robert Maran -
Hi Gordon,
Are you saying that the "mod/taskchain:preview" needs to be "prevent" or "prohibit" for a student? Or "allow" for a student? At the moment it is "allow", but even if I change it to "prevent", the result is the same- meaning there is no "resume" button appearing when a student returns to the task chain after quitting after doing only one or two tasks in the chain...

Robert
In reply to Robert Maran

by Gordon Bateson -

Robert, 
sorry I wasn't clear. I meant that in order to fix this issue on your site, you should ensure that the "mod/taskchain:preview" permission is DISABLED for students.

By default, it is disabled. However, the fact that students in this activity can see the "Preview" button, means that somehow this permission has been enabled (i.e. set to "allow") for students. In other words, the default setting has been overridden.

The default settings are:

• site level: "allow" is unset 
  • course level: inherit
  • activity level: inherit

You need to DISABLE it. You can do that by finding where it has been overridden and removing the override.
Alternatively, within the activity, you can override this permission and set it to "allow"

by Gordon Bateson -
Robert,
sorry, I mistyped the last line of previous post. I should have written ...
Alternatively, within the activity, you can override this permission and, for students, set it to "prevent"

by Robert Maran -
Hi Gordon
Thanks for your quick reply. Sadly to report, I can not seem to produce the screenshot you sent showing the "resume" button". Perhaps I am misunderstanding your instructions? I have attached 2 screenshots of site and course settings for task chain for a student. (There is one more screenshot at the activity level, but I am limited to 2 files only, but it has been set to "inherit").
Sorry about the bother, but any help will be appreciated...

Thanks in advance
Robert
Attachment Screen Shot 2020-11-07 at 13.23.33.png
Attachment Screen Shot 2020-11-08 at 8.38.19.png
In reply to Robert Maran

by Gordon Bateson -
Do you see this behavior on all TaskChains on your site, or just one?
Have your TaskChains always behaved like this, or has the behavior started recently?
Do you see this behavior for all student users, or just one?

by Gordon Bateson -
I understand that the screenshot that you attahced, showed capabilities for the student role. The top part of the screenshot shows site settings, and the bottom part shows course settings.
If my understanding is correct, then problem seems to be that at the Site level, the student roles has the "mod/taskchain:preview" permission set to "Allow". That's not correct. Please change that to "Not set".

by Robert Maran -
Hi Gordon
This behavior was showing for all taskchain on my site. As to when it started, I can not clearly say. As to it being all students, again, I can only say for a course that I am teaching that has 3 students, and they all experience the same behavior. For courses that have many more students and use taskchains, none of them said anything, but that does not mean that they are not experiencing the same behavior. Sorry... not helpful

Robert
In reply to Robert Maran

by Gordon Bateson -

Robert,
at the site level, for student role, please set the "mod/taskchain:preview" capability "Not set".
Gordon

by Robert Maran -
Hi Gordon
Perhaps our posts are out of synch.
at site level student role: "mod/taskchain:preview" capability "Not set". (I have set as per you instructions)
This setting, as I mentioned earlier today, if I set "edit setting"s-> "attempt restrictions"-> "resume"=> "force", then when a student exits a task chain midpoint and then comes back at a later date, they are presented with the list of tasks in the chain showing the tasks that have been completed and their scores to date for each task. This works OK for me, but to have a "resume" as per your original screenshot would be better.

Cheers
Robert
In reply to Robert Maran

by Gordon Bateson -
Please can we concentrate only on the permissions and the "Preview button" for now.
Thank you for confirming the site level "mod/taskchain:preview" capability is set to "Not set".
Now, please could you confirm that the course level setting is "inherit".
And finally, could you confirm that the activity level setting is also "inherit".

If you use the above settings, it should not be possible for students to see the "Preview button". Instead, they should see "Start new chain attepmt".
Using the above settings, , please confirm which button students can see.

by Robert Maran -
Good morning, Gordon
Please see the attached screenshots that I think reflect course level settings and activity level settings. 
I did check "edit tasks", and found that it was showing resume "no" for all tasks in the taskchain. (This despite "resume" being set to "yes" for the taskchain in the edit section). I changed this to resume "yes", at the individual task level- first task in the chain- and subsequently changed all tasks in the taskchain to resume "yes", but still can not seem to reproduce your screenshot which shows the "resume" button. ( I am wondering if the "number of attempts" setting has something to do with seeing or not seeing a resume button? I have the taskchain set to "unlimited attempts").
Any advice appreciated...
Thanks in advance

Robert
Attachment Screen Shot 2020-11-10 at 8.33.03.png
Attachment Screen Shot 2020-11-10 at 8.35.28.png
In reply to Robert Maran

by Gordon Bateson -
Robert,
thank you for showing the settings for the TaskChain capabilities.
With these settings, students do NOT see a preview button.
Rather, they see a button labeled, "Start new chain attempt", yes?

by Robert Maran -
Hi Gordon
Yes, I can confirm that when I change to "student" role, they are presented with "start a new chain attempt". (and not "preview" button)

Thanks
Robert

by Robert Maran -

Hi Gordon

I have been playing around with the settings, and I find that if I set edit settings-> attempt restrictions-> resume=> "force", then when a student exits a task chain midpoint and then comes back at a later date, they are presented with the list of tasks in the chain showing the tasks that have been completed. 

When the task chain is set to  attempt restrictions-> resume=> "yes", then when a student exits a task chain midway and then returns, they are presented with "preview new attempt".

I still can not replicated your "resume button" however....

Thanks in advance

Robert

In reply to Robert Maran

by Gordon Bateson -

Now that we have established that the student gets a "new attempt" button, and not a "preview" button, what is the behavior (for students) if you set "Allow resume" to "Yes" for this TaskChain?

For reference, the TaskChain activity I showed earlier, with the "Resume" link, uses to following settings:

Attempts allowed:
Unlimited attempts
Allow resume:
Yes
Allow free access:
No
Manual completion:
No

And within the TaskChain activity, each task has the following settings:

Attempts allowed:
Unlimited attempts
Allow resume:
Yes

Gordon

by Robert Maran -
Hi Gordon
I can confirm all settings as per your directions. However, when I take on the role of student (or admin for that matter), no "resume" link appears when I opt out of the taskchain midway and then return to the same taskchain later. I am only presented with "start new chain attempt".

There is one more "strange" phenomenon that I notice: The screenshot on the left shows the list of tasks in the chain when I click on "preview of tasks" . However, when I click on "edit tasks", the task name(s) the appear in the list, are task names from a completely different course. Is this normal?

Again, thanks for your patience with this....

Cheers
Robert
Attachment Screen Shot 2020-11-10 at 13.32.30.png
Attachment Screen Shot 2020-11-10 at 13.45.33.png
In reply to Robert Maran

by Gordon Bateson -

Thanks for confirming that you are using the standard settings in your Taskchain and all its tasks.

I believe the names are a separte issue. We can deal wth them later.

But now, let's talk about conditions.
Do you have any pre-, or post-conditions on the tasks in the chain that you would like to resume?

by Robert Maran -
Hi Gordon
There are no pre- or post- conditions set on the tasks...
Robert
In reply to Robert Maran

by Gordon Bateson -

OK, thanks for that information, Robert.

I would like to have a detailed look at this TaskChain. Please could you recreate it on my test server. It may be quickest if you back it up (without user data) and restore on my server, but you could also build it from scratch of you prefer. Here's the access info:

URL:
https://bateson.kochi-tech.ac.jp/39/
Course:
Course Fullname 101
Username:
guestteacher
Password:
taskchainv09

Thanks in advance,
Gordon

by Robert Maran -
Hi Gordon
I have uploaded the taskchain to your server. Title is "food" and is in the "3rd party activity" section. I tried as a "student" it behaves as you say, meaning that if I quit and return, I was presented with a "resume" button....
Thanks as always...
Robert
In reply to Robert Maran

by Gordon Bateson -

Thanks for confirming, that on my latest standard Moodle 3.9 site, with the Boost theme and latest TaskChain module, the "Resume" button appears as you expect.

Are those the conditions on your Moodle site too?

• latest Moodle 3.9 site
    Moodle 3.9.2+ (Build: 20201028)
  • "Boost" or "Classic" theme
  • latest TaskChain module
    Release 2020-09-22 (90)
    Version 2020092290

by Robert Maran -
Good morning, Gordon,
My site conditions are as follows:
moodle version: 3.9.3 (received notification that 3.10 available, but as yet have not updated)
Theme: Boost, classic
taskchain version: release: 2020-06-05(89) version: 2020060589
I note that my taskchain version is "a little outdated"... However on the moodle site, my version is noted as being the latest version, and the version Release 2020-09-22 (90) Version 2020092290 that you indicated is not listed....
Thanks as always
Robert
In reply to Robert Maran

by Gordon Bateson -

The software matches pretty well. I don't think there's a problem there. Also, we've checked the settings and capabilities pretty thoroughly.

This leads me to think that the database contains something strange. However, if that was the case, I would expect that only this TaskChain behaved oddly, but you say that ALL TaskChains are refusing to resume 🤔. Is that correct?

by Robert Maran -
Hi Gordon
Yes, it appears that all taskchains are not showing the "resume" function button...
Robert

by Robert Maran -
Hi Gordon
It seems that we have reached an impasse on how to solve the issue of why there is no "resume" button showing on my moodle site, as all my settings, as you say, match yours. Just a long shot, but do the "permissions" settings in my cpanel for taskchain have any bearing on the issue? I have attached a screenshot for you to look over...

Cheers
Robert
Attachment Screen Shot 2020-11-20 at 8.49.24.png
In reply to Robert Maran

by Gordon Bateson -
Those file permissions seems fine.

If you switch Moodle debugging to "Developer" level, do you see any error messages?
Are any relevant messages displayed in the server logs for Apache or PHP?

by Robert Maran -
Good morning Gordon
When debugging is turned on, no error messages are displayed...

Robert