Quiz Marks do not equal sum of assigned values (Moodle 3.7.1)

Quiz Marks do not equal sum of assigned values (Moodle 3.7.1)

by Tavis Bogue -
Number of replies: 4

I've had this occur a few times now. My quiz will have an extra "mark" that I cannot remove. This makes it look like students have missed a point even if they get every question correct. Does anyone have an idea of how to fix this?

If you look at the screenshot below you can see that the points add to 100 but it is saying Total of marks: 101.

screenshot

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tavis Bogue

Re: Quiz Marks do not equal sum of assigned values (Moodle 3.7.1)

by Tavis Bogue -
I traced the problem to the Description item. It has a mark associated with it somehow. Now I just need to know how to fix that.
In reply to Tavis Bogue

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
That's very odd. What happens if you edit the description and save it again. (You don't actually have to change anything.)

Oh, that will fix the description in the question bank, but it won't chance the score used in the quiz.

I think the only way to fix this is directly in the database, since that value is not shown in the UI for descriptions. The wrong value is in the quiz_slots database table. You need to find the row corresponding to this questionid/quizid, and set maxmark to 0.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Tavis Bogue -
Thanks! I haven't gotten that deep into Moodle yet that I have modified database values. I guess I need to decide if I want to give that a go or just delete the description item and recreate it (which should also fix the issue I think).
In reply to Tavis Bogue

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I don't think delete and re-create. It is remove from quiz, then re-add. And, it won't let you do that since there are attempts. (You could delete the attempts, if that is not too unfair to the students involved.)