Slow forum with 3500+ replies

Slow forum with 3500+ replies

by Gerry Miranda -
Number of replies: 1

Hi, I have a Moodle version 3.9

with 24k students, is installed using 2 servers:

Apache server on CPU with 16 cpus and 40 GB ram 

Mysql server on CPU with 12 cpus and 32 GB ram

The site performs reasonable well with many concurrent users (after some mysql and apache adjustments).

The problem now is that I have a forum page with more than 3500 replies. It takes more than 2 minutes to load all the replies.

I was looking for an option to paginate the forum replies, so I could mitigate the problem, but I just found how to limitate discussions, but this is not the case.

I was looking for plugins with pagination but also I hadn't luck

If any one has any idea of how to mitigate this current situation I will appreciate it a lot...

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gerry Miranda

Re: Slow forum with 3500+ replies

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi

A single discussion thread with 3500 posts? The record I've seen on moodle.org is 1200+, which loads slow too, as to be expected. Still impressive considering that this thread contains a whole lot of screen-shots. (No links please, not to tax the server unnecessarily.)

At first glance, the solution would be to add a multi-page feature per forum discussion. But how would you paginate a threaded discussion? The solution here on moodle.org was to give that "thread" a whole forum. Which was the most sensible thing, because the thread was about a software component. So, everybody who has a problem joined it in his own sub-thread. The moderator of the new forum had to split those sub-threads in to full threads. Well, partly. The 1220 post thread is still there as archived.