Moodlecloud not sending SMS

Moodlecloud not sending SMS

by Osteoboon LLC -
Number of replies: 10

Hi folks.

Thanks for making and supporting Moodle. I think it's terrific.

I'm trying out a moodlecloud.com instance. I've done the initial registration, chosen a site name, and entered my mobile phone number, but when I get to the page that reads: "

Verify your identity

We have sent a temporary verification code to +my.mobile-number. Enter your verification code below."

I never received a verification code. I also tried this 3 days ago with the same result. I've searched the web for this problem and found the possible explanations that maybe my phone blocked it or I entered the wrong phone number. Nope. I entered the correct phone number, the SMS didn't arrive and immediately get filtered out as spam.

What do I do now? I tried clicking the "resend sms" button, but 3 days ago I found out that I'm allowed to do that no more than 3 times before the opportunities for doing it again cease for the subsequent 24 hours.

Is there someone I can send an email message to for help with getting past this? I did fill out a web form moments ago, but perhaps someone in the community has some other ideas?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Osteoboon LLC

Re: Moodlecloud not sending SMS

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hello there. I am moving your post to the MoodleCloud forum so hopefully one of the MoodleCloud team will respond (although it might be Monday)
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Craig R Morton -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of MoodleCloud team
Hi,

Sorry to hear of the difficulties experienced when signing up for a MoodleCloud site.

Could you please share your subdomain/site name you entered during the registration process and I will be able to track your details down for you?

Best Regards,
Craig R Morton
Analyst Developer - MoodleCloud

In reply to Craig R Morton

by Osteoboon LLC -
The subdomain/site name was npg. But on Sunday, November 01, 2020 9:22 PM EST I received a message with subject "Case 00095262 Solved - Rate your support experience" although I never received a solution.

So I tried again moments ago to create npg.moodlecloud.com and had the same experience (received no SMS).

So I opened another support case, and received another email message from support@moodle.com with subject "Your case 00095348 is being looked into." I'm hoping that case 00095348 will get resolved with a solution for me this time, rather than being closed with no solution provided?

Thanks for any help. smile

by Osteoboon LLC -
My earlier update in this thread today should have included another email message I received from support@moodlecloud.com. The other message was from support@moodle.com, but the two messages were sent within one minute of each other, so I guess the solution referred to in the "Case 00095262 Solved" message was this message that I quote below (but it's not really a solution for my case):

"Thanks for contacting Moodle HQ.

We apologise for our delay in responses at this time. Unprecedented demand due to COVID-19 is putting pressure on the MoodleCloud support team, preventing us from providing the level of customer support we expect from ourselves. We have added staff to the team late last week and expect to have cleared the backlog of support tickets in the coming days.

You must use a mobile phone number (not VOIP), as you will receive an SMS (text message). Be sure you are selecting the correct country prefix for your phone number. [I did use a mobile phone number, not VOIP, and I did choose the correct country prefix.]

Another option is to sign up for our starter site, it is $80AUD per year and you can sign up with the email verification process. For more information about our plans, check out our pricing page. [I'd rather try the free option first if it is truly an option. I think I'll need the full 45 day free trial period to evaluate the Moodle instance.]

You can learn all about how to set up your MoodleCloud site in our Quick Start Guide.

You can keep up to date with our systems on our service status page.

We offer limited support on this helpdesk, so your question might be best addressed by visiting the Moodle community and documentation. If you require dedicated support then we recommend you speak to one of our Moodle Partners. They offer a range of services including hosting, support, training, consultancy, implementation, integrations, customisations, reporting, analytics and course content creation. A list can be found at https://moodle.com/partners/

And here is a list of resources you can use for help on any other Moodle topic:

Moodle Community forums - http://moodle.org/support Here you will find links to many Moodle subject forums and loads of useful conversations about configuring Moodle.
Moodle Documentation - http://docs.moodle.org Search for documentation on any Moodle topic, including site administration, managing courses, enrolment, activities and loads more.
If you can't find the answer you are looking for, post a question in the Moodle forums and one of the many Moodle experts in the community is likely to have an answer for you.

If you have any further questions, please let me know or visit our FAQ page

Kind regards,

Xxxxx (redacted from original)
MoodleCloud Support
The MoodleCloud Team
ref:_00D4P1dVKf._5004P1I9XBR:ref"

I've included my comments in square brackets and inline with the text of the email message. It does not really provide a solution, but I understand that the helpdesk is overwhelmed with issues to address. I would like to try a free MoodleCloud option if that really is an option. But I'm doing everything correctly, and it appears to not really be an option (if I cannot validate my configuration with a code received via SMS to a proper mobile phone number, not a VOIP number).

Thanks for any suggestions.

by Craig R Morton -
Hi Kevin,

Sorry to hear about this.

I have had a look into our logs and interestingly can see that a SMS was successfully delivered to your phone for your "audit" site on 29th October. Also, I can see in the logs that we have been able to send a message to your number ending 773 for the "npg" site based on this entry:

2020-11-02T10:18:24.640Z
+1xxxxxxx773
Message has been accepted by phone

This information is coming from the service provider so we have no reason to think there has been any issues along the way.
Could I ask you to try restarting your phone or using another mobile number you have access to.

Many thanks.

by Osteoboon LLC -
Thank you, Craig. This is helpful.

But I have a question: for your log entry that reads, "Message has been accepted by phone", is this coming from CloudWatch Logs and the Amazon Simple Notification Service?

If so, would it be possible for you to share with me (perhaps in a private message if sharing it publicly here might cause problems for your service?) the phone number of the sending service? That would help me take the troubleshooting process to the next step with my service provider.

by Craig R Morton -
Hi again Kevin,

The "number" that our SMS provider are sending the SMS from will appear as "NOTICE" on your phone. This is the default sender ID that our provider use for sending SMS. You could possibly pick this up with your network provider, alternatively try another phone number that you have access to.

If you are still having difficulties then you could consider upgrading to one of our affordable paid plans which start at $80 AUD/yr.

Best Regards.

by Osteoboon LLC -
After receiving your log entry for the 2020-11-02T10:18:24.640Z Message has been accepted by phone event, I spent a little over an hour troubleshooting with my mobile service provider. They (Google Fi) helped me successfully switch MCC/MNC numbers on my mobile phone in case that could have been associated with my non-receipt of SMS messages from MoodleCloud. After switching, I tried again to set up a 45-day free Moodle server using MoodleCloud.com, and again I received no SMS. I imagine that your logs will show this attempt about 2 hours ago, but all records accessible to me and Google Fi indicate that my mobile number received no SMS messages during our troubleshooting session. So Google Fi tech support feels confident that the problem is not with my setup, but instead with your setup, but I imagine you've done testing with your setup which has probably led you to the conclusion that it is operating perfectly.

Also, I've had no problem receiving other automated SMS verification messages from other services like banks and others that try to do a form of 2FA using SMS. This also tends to support the assertion that the root problem is with MoodleCloud, not with my service, but I'm sure there are many uncertainties that I'm not aware of too.

However, I'm unclear on one particular issue. Although I'm no expert on the SMS Protocol, for many years I have had the impression that, like the User Datagram Protocol, the Simple Message Service Protocol provides no "message accepted by phone" feature. Your log entry gives me the opposite impression, but I don't understand Amazon SNS messages, so maybe the SNS Protocol expands upon the SMS Protocol? Can you elaborate on this?

by Kelly Howell -
Hi Kevin,
Do you have access to another mobile phone (perhaps friend or family) that you can use for this?  Even better if you can try a phone that is not on the Google Fi network.
Our system is sending the message from AWS, and after that delivery is with your phone provider, so we are unable to provide further assistance in that respect.
Warm regards