Help on how to use filemanager

Help on how to use filemanager

by Andreas Ragen Ayal -
Number of replies: 5

I'm completely stumped on how to use the filemanager form element to have a user upload some files and save them.

I'm working on making a course resource where the instructor must upload one or more files. Then when a student opens the resource they will see some specially rendered version of what the instructor uploaded.

I managed to add the filemanager element to the form (that was the easy part).
But I cannot, for the ..... figure out how I'm supposed to use the 'file_save_draft_area_files' function to save the actual stuff.

The relevant pieces of my source code are attached to this post.
I used the 'mod_assign' activity as some sort of example, so I understood that the 'file_save_draft_area_files' function should be in the 'add_instance' function in the 'lib.php' file. But I can't get it to actually work. I currently get the error message in the image attachment. The stacktrace leads to the 'file_save_draft_area_files' in my 'lib.php' file.

I'm almost pulling my hair out, I don't understand. I'm thankful for all help on this.

Attachment Screenshot from 2020-10-28 22-43-32.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Andreas Ragen Ayal

Re: Help on how to use filemanager

by Davo Smith -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

file_save_draft_area_files() takes a context id as the second param, not a context object.

So, to fix the error you need to write:

file_save_draft_area_files($data->attachments, $context->id, 'mod_doc', 'docs', 0, array('subdirs' => true));

I've not checked the rest of you code, so there may be other problems I've not spotted, but that should get you past the error you have reported.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Davo Smith

by Andreas Ragen Ayal -
Thank you very very much!
Now I can move on the the next inevitable error. Hopefully I can make better sense of it.

by Davo Smith -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

This is a reasonable example that demonstrates how to use filemanager:

https://github.com/AndyNormore/filemanager

(I'd probably use file_prepare_standard_filemanager() and file_postupdate_standard_filemananger(), as that does some of the work for you, but that is just a wrapper for the file_prepare_draft_area(), etc. functions, so does the same thing in the end)

In reply to Davo Smith

by Andreas Ragen Ayal -

Is this code still relevant?
It seems to be 3-8 years old.

by Davo Smith -
I'm not aware of any relevant changes to the Moodle files API in that time - is there something you think is out of date?