Could somebody add some more binary file types to the cvswrappers?

Could somebody add some more binary file types to the cvswrappers?

by Samuli Karevaara -
Number of replies: 2
Could somebody add
*.darwin -k 'b'
*.exe -k 'b'
*.linux -k 'b'
*.freebsd -k 'b'
*.psd -k 'b'
to the cvswrappers file? I'm getting bit by the /filter/tex/ folder by those odd binary files.

<rant mode="skip">
My CVS repository has gone bonkers. No doubt because of my poor use of CVS. But nevertheless, I really hate CVS for this. I'm getting 

cvs import: Dropping data: pos>vec->text.nlines
cvs [import aborted]: invalid change text in c:\cvs_repo/reppu/filter/mediaplugin/mp3player.fla.zip,v

for ALL of the binary files. Trying to tell CVS it's a binary file, but the cvswrappers won't do good for the already messed up files. "cvs admin -kb" doesn't do it, "cvs update -kb" does a bit more good, but still after doing this and copying a fresh new binary file and committing, I get the above error.

Somewhere it says that "remember to set this when adding the files", but I'm importing the whole lot. How do I tell if the cvswrappers worked or not? How do I ask the CVS that "do you think that this file is a binary file"?

Ended up doing an import with all of the binary files deleted from the import tree, then adding them separately, then doing a completely fresh cvsrepo, loosing all of the customization history...

And what about removing directories? I like it that the /lang/ folder in the core has been cleaned up, but try to do an update on the folder. Poor CVS creates the folders and then decides that they are empty and prunes them. For every update/import/merge. I mean, CVS, don't you get it already that they are go'oone.

Renaming files? Why would you want to rename files, says CVS.

I'm also getting out-of-date "do an update first!" errors while committing, on my own repository, I'm sure nobody touched the files while I was editing them.
</rant>

Feeling better now, thanks...
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Samuli Karevaara

Re: Could somebody add some more binary file types to the cvswrappers?

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
cvswrappers fixed, thanks smile

As for Sourceforge and CVS: another day.  smile
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

Re: Could somebody add some more binary file types to the cvswrappers?

by Samuli Karevaara -
I switched my internal revision control to use Subversion (again) after a vendor branch CVS import got half of my binary files as text/ascii (some gifs binary, some ascii, even with the cvswrappers set correctly...), missed some files and folders completely but still was bumping it's head to the empty lang folders...

As Martin L. mentioned in another thread, Subversion in conceptually the same (branching/merging-wise anyway) than CVS, so if CVS is not giving problems to the team as whole then there is little incentive to switch.

But for those with a bit simpler needs for revision control I can really recommend Subversion over CVS! It got all of the Moodle binary files right with no settings at all ( I was moved by this smile ), has a true binary file support (more important with the web apps maybe than with the "normal" apps), import didn't miss a thing, I have far less hassle with the line endings with SVN than CVS. With the newish FSFS repository format it's no longer as slow with largers repositories as it used to be. Also, no more locked repos as with the BDB format.

Why am I writing this here? Not sure, but the reason has to be morning- and coffee-related.