Can I make a question bank, and then create random mix-and-match quizzes from that bank?

Can I make a question bank, and then create random mix-and-match quizzes from that bank?

by Michael Maggiano -
Number of replies: 6

Hi Moodle community,

I haven't started using Moodle yet.  I'm on a Mac running 10.14 Mojave.

Before I dig in, I am hoping that someone will know whether this is the right app for me.  If it helps, I only need this for my own study.

I would like to:

1) create a huge question bank (e.g. foreign word in column A, English translation in column B).  Let's say it's 1,000 rows.

2) generate a new random mix-and-match quiz of maybe 20 questions from this big question bank every time I want to study.  By mix and match, I mean foreign words 1 through 20 match with answer 'a' through 't'.  If I can't do this, can I otherwise generate a random quiz by grabbing 20 words at a time from column A, and somehow generate another quiz type like multiple choice with random defintions from column B.  This is for self study so I can't make my own multiple choice questions.

3) curate the question bank across time, removing or adding words as I go

That's all I need.  Any other feature is a bonus.  I can think of other features I might like but I'll worry about that later.

I cannot find this type of self-quiz app out there anywhere.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Michael Maggiano

Re: Can I make a question bank, and then create random mix-and-match quizzes from that bank?

by Beatriz Rojo -
Hello Michael,
Moodle can do exactly what you want using the random question configuration. I think the most appropriate question type would be the short answer question type. When you have achieved a reasonable amount, you can use the Random short-answer matching question type to create matching questions randomly from the short answer questions in a particular category.
However, I think Moodle is too complex and too big to use just a single feature. If what you want is, as I deduce, learning vocabulary, you can use other open-source apps developed just for this, such as Anki or Ulangi.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Beatriz Rojo

Re: Can I make a question bank, and then create random mix-and-match quizzes from that bank?

by Michael Maggiano -
Hello Beatriz,

I appreciate the reply. I am having trouble locating the mix-and-match feature, whether following your advice or Rick's advice here. By mix-and-match I mean a quiz type that picks x random questions and also randomizes the answers to mix-and-match them to the appropriate question. So for instance if I picked 10 questions, can Moodle pick ten random questions 1-10 and then also randomize and show the answers 'A' through 'J', so that to get the quiz right I'd be selecting maybe B for Q1, H for Q2, E for Q3 and so on?

Thank you,
Mike

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Moodle can randomly pick questions (when Editing Quiz,) shuffle these questions in the quiz (when Editing Quiz,) and also shuffle the multiple-choice answers (a setting when you first create the quiz, under Question Behavior.)
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Michael Maggiano -
Hello Rick,

Thank you. I am going to give this a shot. I followed your search-term advice from October, but I never quite got to the page describing question behaviors. I'll be starting from scratch with Moodle but I think it's worth climbing the learning curve because no simpler apps that I can find for Mac have the features I'm looking for. If I told you how long I've been looking for this, it might amaze you.

Cheers!

by Rick Jerz -
Here are two screenshots.

When you "edit quiz settings" (such as creating the quiz activity) you see Question behavior. Set this to Yes.

When you "edit quiz" you should see the option to "Shuffle," as shown on my second screenshot. This second screenshot also shows that I am "Random"ly selecting questions.
Attachment 1 Edit quiz settings.png
Attachment 2 Edit quiz.png

by Rick Jerz -
Beatriz has pointed you in a good direction. A general approach to your type of question would be to use a Google search with "moodle docs random quiz."
Average of ratings: Useful (1)