Moodle is good, but this is the thing that I find to be lacking

Moodle is good, but this is the thing that I find to be lacking

by Ian L -
Number of replies: 5

I think the lack of a notification to blog and forum comments and posting is a huge limitation. It makes the course a static experience. Like Moodle works great as a traditional start to finish course, but there is no way to develop any sort of community with this software.

Unless I missed something.

Someone makes a forum post and someone comments and they don't get a notification. Someone comments on a blog post and the blog poster doesn't get a notification.

I did vote on this in the tracker.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ian L

Re: Moodle is good, but this is the thing that I find to be lacking

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers
I am thinking that you might need to look at this Moodle Doc, talks about Notifications. 
In reply to Ian L

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
When people post in forums and others reply you should definitely get notified. Comments on blog posts are not notified and I agree that is a shame.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Ian L -

"When people post in forums and others reply you should definitely get notified." 

Thanks. 

You mean an email notification? 

Also what about comments on assignments? I think those weren't too so anyways over the years I've been direct messaging people to comment on their assignments.

So then if the forum posts and comments are sending an email notification then maybe I could use that instead of the blog. I really wish the blog comments sent an email notification. I was also wondering if there was a way to make this public to Google? I think there is setting in there "open to Google" but I wasn't sure what's affected by that.

In reply to Ian L

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
You should get notified by email or a pop up on the site or even in your smartphone depending on how notifications are set up on your site - as mentioned by Colin in the Notifications documentation
In reply to Ian L

by John Provasnik -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
We stopped having students post "comments" on their assignment submission for that reason - they don't alert the teacher that there is a comment. If that's changed since 3.1 I don't know but I'd hope because we could then start using it again.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)