Private Files vs ?

Private Files vs ?

napisao/la Michael Knichel -
Number of replies: 6

Hello, I am a new moodle user.  I am wondering about the private files area.  I teach several sections of the same course.  If I put all of my course resources in my private files area, can I then link to them in each of my classes under the appropriate topic?  I am thinking that this makes it so that if I edit the file in the private files area, then all sections get the edits? 

Am I on the right track? or is there another way to achieve this?

MK

Prosjek ocjena: -
In reply to Michael Knichel

Re: Private Files vs ?

napisao/la Colin Fraser -
Slika Documentation writers Slika Testers
Superficially, I can't think why it wouldn't work. Having said that, the Private Files block has to be activated by your Admin, this makes your Private Files accessible to you as the owner via the File Picker, for use in a Course. I am not sure, however, if the file is transferred to the Course resources via a copy or if it is just a link. The links would likely be more efficient in terms of database space, by not carrying duplicate copies of files, but given that the file is one of your Private Files, it may be a full copy to prevent others from accessing your files in your Private Files area.
I hope this makes sense, it's a bit of convoluted logic here.

napisao/la Michael Knichel -
Thanks for the replies. I guess now the only other question is... Is this the "propper" way to do what I want? or is there a more standard way of adding the same file to several classes so it can be edited easily? Is there a different files area that is more appropriate for this?

MK

napisao/la Mary Cooch -
Slika Documentation writers Slika Moodle HQ Slika Particularly helpful Moodlers Slika Testers Slika Translators
I think using Private files with shortcuts/aliases is fine ,unless you want to save space on your server and then you could make links to a shared Google or OneDriver or NextCloud or many similar docs.

napisao/la Colin Fraser -
Slika Documentation writers Slika Testers
Mary is quite correct, but as I am exceptionally paranoid, I prefer to use a directory on my own server, storage is much cheaper now than it used to be. It also means I know that no-one else is looking at my files unless I give them permission. This is the real issue with cloud storage, you have no idea if anyone else is looking at them or if some kid who likes to break things gets to the host server. Okay, the stuff we do is not going to be highly classified trade or political or military stuff, and will likely be of no interest to 99.99% of the world anyway, but that's not the point, it's me and my ego that's important..smiješak smiješak