Individual (specific) questions assigned to the students

Individual (specific) questions assigned to the students

av Jan Winnicki -
Antall svar: 9

Does anyone know how to do the following: Each student has received their own personal data set. They have to do some complicated operations with these numbers. These operations cannot be saved as formulas in a set of questions. Then I want to ask each student very specific questions related to their dataset.
Question: How do I assign a specific quiz question to each student? I want to check be done automatically, so the best would be a quiz.
Or maybe you have a better idea than a quiz to easily assign specific questions to the student and automatically check if he gave the correct answer?

Moodle 3.8

Gjennomsnittlig vurdering: -
Som svar til Jan Winnicki

Re: Individual (specific) questions assigned to the students

av Colin Fraser -
Bilde av Documentation writers Bilde av Testers
Hi Jan, on reading this question I am thinking WOW! This is pretty sophisticated targeting and is more likely to be successful if using Google or YouTube or Facebook AI protocols, and I doubt Moodle will ever be able to do that. If it ever did though, I think it might just scare the living crap out of me that I could be so easily targeted. No I suggest this is going to have to be a manual operation, which is really time consuming. What you may want to consider is to ask a block of generic questions and for an assessment of the data then message a few specific questions, email, or whatever, to each student. This is still time consuming, but not as much as it would to create a whole quiz around their individual data sets.

Re: Individual (specific) questions assigned to the students

av Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Bilde av Particularly helpful Moodlers Bilde av Translators
Sounds like statistics, data science, GIS to me. Then, are you really interested in the numerical results, or whether they applied the correct method? In the latter case, they could all share the same data, they submit the numerical results with the computer program (Python, R) they wrote. Then the https://docs.moodle.org/en/Assignment_activity is the one from the Moodle core. But there's no automatic correction. For that you need to go towards programming add-ons like VPL activity https://moodle.org/mod/forum/view.php?id=8672 or Code runner question type https://moodle.org/plugins/qtype_coderunner.

If I am on the wrong track, you have to provide a sample question and the answer.
Som svar til Visvanath Ratnaweera

Odp: Re: Individual (specific) questions assigned to the students

av Jan Winnicki -
Thank you very much for your comments. I think I need to explain further why I have such needs.
Students were given a task: to develop certain tools for production planning. Everyone got different details. They are working on this tool throughout the whole semester. In order to check whether the individual modules are working properly, they make calculations for their case several times during the semester. They receive the results as a checksum. In fact, several checksums. I have a set of answers generated for each case.
And now I want every student to answer what checksums they have calculated.

The assignment seems to be a good solution, but for a large group of students and when everyone has to calculate a dozen or so indicators, it is ineffective.
That is why I dreamt of generating the calculations and on this set of results, I will build a set of questions assigned to each student using the question generator (GIFT).

In fact, I am surprised that so far no one has noticed such a need in quizzes: so that each student can be assigned a specific question with possible answers.
I am not interested in using external tools for such a simple thing as checking the results of the calculation.
By asking this question, I wanted to see if anyone is already working on it. I think it is very much needed and gives great opportunities for person-oriented rather than mass education. After all, with such questions, it is possible to diagnose the progress of specific people and to select better methods for them.
Nevertheless, thank you for your response, I must look for another Moodle solution.

Re: Odp: Re: Individual (specific) questions assigned to the students

av Rick Jerz -
Bilde av Particularly helpful Moodlers Bilde av Testers

I haven't faced your need, but I can share an idea.

You could create groups of 1.  Then, create a quiz, one for each student, and restrict each quiz to a specific "group."  You can even randomly put students into these groups of 1.

Yes, a bit of work, but the is the situation that you have by the nature of wanting to give each student their own special project and unique questions about the project.

If you are using the question bank, have a major category for "All Projects" and then sub-categories for each project, such as "Project 01", etc.

My guess is that you will have a lot of "parallel" questions, so the "duplication" question tool will come in handy.

Although I don't create groups of 1, I do have some quizzes where I want (some) different versions, so I might make 5 versions of a quiz, and then create 5 random groups, maybe 8-10 students per group.

Gjennomsnittlig vurdering:Useful (1)
Som svar til Rick Jerz

Odp: Re: Odp: Re: Individual (specific) questions assigned to the students

av Jan Winnicki -
Indeed, it can work as a substitute. I've been thinking about it too, and since there is no better solution I think I'll do it. Thank you.

Re: Odp: Re: Odp: Re: Individual (specific) questions assigned to the students

av Rick Jerz -
Bilde av Particularly helpful Moodlers Bilde av Testers

If you do take this approach of one quiz per student (a group of 1), make sure to hide the quiz from students not in that group so that all students don't see all quizzes, only their own.  It will look a bit messy for you, but your students will see only one item.

Re: Odp: Re: Individual (specific) questions assigned to the students

av Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Bilde av Particularly helpful Moodlers Bilde av Translators
In case you are still interested in following the original (conventional) line - I expect you to, since you mentioned large classes - creating a question per student is different from creating a question (per mile stone) - I would check whether a problem could be parametrized. I mean, don't these (numerical) calculations have a close mathematical (symbolical) formulae? Moodle has endless variations of calculated and/or numerical types of question, starting from the https://docs.moodle.org/en/Simple_calculated_question_type through https://docs.moodle.org/en/Numerical_question_type upwards.
Som svar til Visvanath Ratnaweera

Odp: Re: Odp: Re: Individual (specific) questions assigned to the students

av Jan Winnicki -
Unfortunately, it is impossible to parameterize these calculations. Each student builds a complicated model.