Advanced Badge Criteria?

Advanced Badge Criteria?

by Scotty Perey -
Number of replies: 2
Hi everyone... first, THANKS to all of you who so generously share your knowledge here. I am still super new to Moodle, but I've got the basics down and I love it! Been waiting for something like this for a long time  smile

I have a question about badges... I know we can award a badge for completion of a course (which I assume means doing all the activities) or for completion of a single activity, but is there any sort of advanced criteria by which I could award a badge for any student who completes, say, their choice of three out of five available activities in a course? 

Also... with respect to "completing" an activity: 1) do Forums count, and does that mean a student would have to make at least one post in a Forum for "completion" and 2) is a YouTube video link activity considered "completed" merely by clicking it, or is there some way Moodle knows if they've watched the whole thing?

Hope that's not too much in one question, but this is really the last thing I need to figure out before this curriculum is ready to Rock and Roll!

Much thanks,

~Scotty Perey
The Music Compass
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Scotty Perey

Re: Advanced Badge Criteria?

by Beatriz Rojo -

Hi Scotty,

regarding advanced criteria for badge awarding, I think there aren't, but let's other users with more experience in this functionality answer.

Regarding the other questions:

1. Yes, forums are included and, in fact, the completion requirements for a forum activity are quite detailed. I require in one of my courses to post a message and to answer to at least one different post to have the activity marked as complete. I'm quite sure you will find the combination of criteria that suits you best, as well.
  2. For this type of resource, the only completion activity requirement is "see", which is the same as "click". A way to complement this is to create some knowledge checks to be sure that the student has seen and understand the video and make the completion of the video activity dependant on the knowledge check (quiz or h5p) results. I don't know if there exists a plugin that tracks if a video has been watched completely, though.

In reply to Beatriz Rojo

Re: Advanced Badge Criteria?

by Scotty Perey -

That is really helpful, Beatriz, thank you so much! I appreciate the response 🙏