Migrating courses from Moodle 2.4+ to Moodle 3.9.2+

Migrating courses from Moodle 2.4+ to Moodle 3.9.2+

by Kristen Walker -
Number of replies: 3

Hi all,

I have a very old Moodle site that I need to attend to. I know the answer to this is probably no, but is there any way to import courses from Moodle 2.4+ to Moodle 3.9.2+?

We only have a handful that are still used and I am trying to figure out the best way to deal with this situation.

Thanks so much,

Kristen

PS

As a side note, our Moodle site runs on an Ubuntu server.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kristen Walker

Re: Migrating courses from Moodle 2.4+ to Moodle 3.9.2+

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Got a sandbox clone of your 3.9.2+?  If so, try it.  Even if not a clone, just a sandbox latest and greatest 3.9.x+ - *restore* ... cannot 'import' as import requires the backup to come from the same server if I re-call correctly.

Been some major  changes ... around 2.6 a major change in assignments and for several versions upwards there was an Admin 'Upgrade Assignments' link in site Admin menu.

Catch 22?  Dunno ... only way to find out is to try it out.

'SoS', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
assignments should still restore ok - it's why we still have a mod/assignment plugin in the codebase even though the new one is called mod/assign - the bigger issue is more likely to be around any custom plugins you have installed on your old site. It theory it should work fine, however it's unlikely many people have recently tested restoring an old 2.6 backup into a 3.9 site.
In reply to Dan Marsden

by Kristen Walker -
I will try it out Ken and Dan. Thanks for the information, it's very much appreciated smile

-Kristen