Certificate not awarded to students who earned it before certificate was created

Certificate not awarded to students who earned it before certificate was created

by Stephanie Worden -
Number of replies: 6

I have created a certificate using the Custom certificate plugin and set it up in two of our courses (one is a test course with only one test account enrolled in the course).  In the test course, using a test account, I successfully passed the last lesson post-test in the course and when I click on the certificate in the test account, it shows that it was awarded to my test account.

So, I created a certificate using the same conditions in a live course that I know some students have completed.  But, when I click on certificate in this live course, it says "Recipients: 0".  Is there a setting somewhere that will award the certificate to those users who completed the last lesson post-test in the course before the certificate existed?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Stephanie Worden

Re: Certificate not awarded to students who earned it before certificate was created

by Shirley Gregorczyk -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Is the CRON jobs running for course completion.
Completion marks as started
Calculate regular completion data

If not, manually run them now and see if that awards the certificates.
If that works, consider changing the frequency of those CRON jobs.
Kind Regards,
In reply to Shirley Gregorczyk

Re: Certificate not awarded to students who earned it before certificate was created

by Stephanie Worden -
I wondered if CRON was involved. How do I see if CRON is running and change the frequency of those CRON jobs? I haven't been able to find a succinct guide.

by Shirley Gregorczyk -
Site Admin>Server>Scheduled Tasks
Scroll down to the two I listed above.
The Last Run and Next Run date/times are displayed in the view
Select the Edit icon to change the frequency and/or when the job should be executed.
Select Run now link to execute manually.
Kind Regards

by Stephanie Worden -
I edited the run time for "Completion mark as started" because it was set to run at 3:23am. Now it's set as seen here:

Task schedule for cron

I looked everywhere, but don't see a "Run now" link.  I will keep looking, though.

by Stephanie Worden -
OK, I think I've figured out what's going on. I logged into my test account to see what a regular student would see. The certificate is not greyed out because I had completed the last lesson post-test, but until I clicked on the certificate, it wasn't awarded to me. Is there any way to automatically award the certificate without a student clicking on it, or is that just how it works?

by Shirley Gregorczyk -
That is how it works.
There is a post about that very subject recently in this Forum.
Kind Regards.